Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times

Advertisements

We have the cluster of mailboxes in our HOA. The USPS is the owner not the HOA. go speak to a manager at the PO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
We have the cluster of mailboxes in our HOA. The USPS is the owner not the HOA. go speak to a manager at the PO
OP has done that. She spoke to the postmaster, who told her that the HOA had the keys. It sounds like he/she will have to have a new lock put in.

Our mailbox key was left us by the former homeowner, but I know that the PO services it. We had a lock stick on the package bin, and we were told to leave a note for the mail man. These must handled differently in different areas.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:06 AM

1 posts, read 10,530 times
what do I need to take to post office to get a key to my mailbox just don't want to take a trip for nothing

Old 03-22-2014, 05:15 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiriryan123 View Post
what do I need to take to post office to get a key to my mailbox just don't want to take a trip for nothing
Proof that you are the owner/ legal resident of the house. Either deed/ mortgage documents or a signed, valid lease.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:58 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Dealing with this now. The answer depends on the mailbox cluster.

If it's branded USPS - eagle and everything - it's the USPS' responsibility. If you don't get traction, escalate it. They're the only ones who can rekey it by law.

If it's generic with no branding or lettering, it's the community responsibility - BUT not the HOA, at least not in this state...the owner of the mailbox is the one responsible.

On the house I purchased the previous owners were out of the property so long they I guess forgot which box number it was, somehow misplaced the mailbox key so I had to replace it but didn't know the box number. I went to a neighboring HOA to ask and they informed me about leaving a "brightly colored note" in the outbound. This I did with a phone number, and the postal carrier sent me a text letting me know what the box number was, and even went a step further, quite ghetto in fact, popped the door so I can replace the lock. I noticed his area code was from Los Angeles so maybe that's why - helping a fellow California transplant out.

I ordered a replacement lock from Amazon and had it shipped to the house, I'll be installing it today (hopefully).

Old 03-22-2014, 09:29 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Actually, you may have to pay a locksmith to change the lock and provide new keys. I purchased a condo that was a foreclosure and neither the bank or the HOA had a key. When I spoke with the Post Office, I learned that most community mailboxes are no longer under the USPS authority and they no longer provide or maintain them, it is the responsibility of the HOA/COA. The post office can verify which physical mailbox is assigned to each address/unit though.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:24 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Don't pay a locksmith. Seriously. It's less than $10 and you only need a flat head screwdriver and a socket wrench. Take you no more than 15 minutes. You just need the mail carrier to help pop out the old chuck from the back by removing the clamp.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:15 AM

416 posts, read 871,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
Usually the post office has the keys not the HOA.
This.

I'm in contract for a property in an HOA, and their specific instructions include the fact that there is a key for the box, and it is held by the local USPS office, NOT the HOA.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
My local post office replaced the lock and gave me keys at no charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate