Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 11:43 AM

28 posts, read 32,428 times

Advertisements

I am in process of sale my house in NC. Since there is a company buy out program, I think I will take some lost but housing market in NC is not really bad, therefor I have no worry about this issue.

However, I do not know what is my next step. I plan to stay in Ohio for the next few years (5 is the most) and move back to the South.

Shall I buy an other house right now or put the money in the bank and wait for the time come? Understand that no one has the crystal ball to predict the future housing market, however I still want to get your opinion.

If I buy an other house (somewhere in Florida or Myrtle Beach, NC), I can rent it out . Even I can not rent it out then I will use it for my winter retreat or my kid vacation home (my kids are still in NC).

If I wait, then I might never see the current housing price again.

What do you think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
It seems to me that the prevailing opinion is that the housing market (and house prices) is headed further down for at least the short term (next couple years). If that is true then those who can choose to own or rent should probably sit out the housing market and then buy a house of their choosing at a lower price sometime in the future.

That's my belief and my present plans are likely to pick a city to settle and rent there, then buy after I've become certain about my city choice. I expect I'll be able to buy a nicer house next year for the same money, or the same house for less money. In the latter case that means lower taxes too.

Contrast that with the likelihood of the market taking an upturn in the next few years. That seems so unlikely as to make me scoff.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Didn't you post this a few weeks ago?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Didn't you post this a few weeks ago?
Brandon: I took the advices not to buy a condo in Ohio. I am renting an apt now. This question relates to the "future" and "final" home which will be some where in the South after I done with Ohio.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer1942 View Post
Brandon: I took the advices not to buy a condo in Ohio. I am renting an apt now. This question relates to the "future" and "final" home which will be some where in the South after I done with Ohio.
Ahh...well in my opinion you don't have to buy right now. I don't see prices appreciated in those markets you named for at least 18 months. If you happened to run across the perfect place and could more or less cover your expenses renting it I see no problem with buying now. If you'd be paying out of pocket even after rent then I'd wait.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I don't see prices appreciated in those markets you named for at least 18 months. If you happened to run across the perfect place and could more or less cover your expenses renting it I see no problem with buying now. If you'd be paying out of pocket even after rent then I'd wait.
Thanks. I think I will take your advice.

Checking Realtor.com recently, I see one very nice house in Myrtle Beach area for sale. That is the reason why I brought up this question. I torn between the idea to buy it and not living in it for next 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate