Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 07:03 PM

889 posts, read 2,712,165 times

Advertisements

We like a house that previously had a pool that was filled in. We want a pool. I can see the exact outline of the old one. They drilled holes in it, put in pea gravel, then dirt, then mulch. The concrete surround is still in decent shape. I heard of someone else's project; digging out some of the dirt and inserting a formed fiberglass pool. Is this possible? Cost? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:20 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
"you might get away with it..."
but have enough budget ready to do it right before you start.

right = completely starting over with an empty hole in the ground.
budget = cost to demo and haul off all that is there PLUS the cost to build a new in ground pool.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:20 AM

42 posts, read 171,714 times
is it a fiberglass or vinyl liner pool? All of the old concrete deck would need to be broken out and if it is a concrete pool, the pool would need to be broken out. i wouldnt recommend putting another vinyl liner or concrete/gunite pool as you wont have solid virgin ground to work with unless you made it much larger and deeper. you can however drop in a fiberglass pool which only requires pea gravel to set in or washed sand both of which are 100% compactable. It's completely doable but expect to pay 30-40k. Ive done it several times as i worked for a pool company for 5 years. You wont be able to reuse the concrete deck that was around the pool or be able to form fit it inside of the pool but you can putt in a fiberglass of any size or shape you want provided you remove all of the old pool and fill the voids with pea gravel.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM

889 posts, read 2,712,165 times
I got some more information... The company we are going to use has already done a similar installation in this area and the homeowners are pleased with the results. They cleaned it out and put in a vinyl liner. I am hoping to visit this pool. The poolman is going to check out the site soon. Thanks for your comments!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 AM

42 posts, read 171,714 times
ive done a few conversions to concrete pools with a rubberized pvc liner but never vinyl liner straight to concrete. i would think that would wear through the liner pretty quickly. good luck though, hopefully they didnt fill the pool in because it cracked or floated out of the ground when draining it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate