Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times

Advertisements

I just found out yesterday that my condominium complex has too many delinquencies for someone to go FHA on a loan. The prices in our complex have plummeted and I'm curious as to what backlash will occur from appears to be an increasing in renters soon to come.

Sorry for the typo in the title, I was rushing through it.

Last edited by justtitans; 07-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Unfortunately, it means there will be a smaller buyer pool that can consider buying in your complex. Buyers will either have to pay all cash, or find a conventional loan which does not have those constraints (difficult), usually means much higher down payment and higher interest rate. Depending on pricing, you will likely get cash investors buying to rent, which further impacts loan availability.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Unfortunately, it means there will be a smaller buyer pool that can consider buying in your complex. Buyers will either have to pay all cash, or find a conventional loan which does not have those constraints (difficult), usually means much higher down payment and higher interest rate. Depending on pricing, you will likely get cash investors buying to rent, which further impacts loan availability.
I understand that, but do places that end up like this usually turn into apartment dwellings with 100% rentals? What do HOAs usually do in situations like this especially when it is unlikely that they will get the money necessary to maintain the community?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:02 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
The prices tend to plummet in this situation b/c it's hard to get a loan and it's cash only. The HOA could continue to enforce a limit on renters, but you might find more condos going into foreclose.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I just found out yesterday that my condominium complex has too many delinquencies for someone to go FHA on a loan. The prices in our complex have plummeted and I'm curious as to what backlash will occur from appears to be an increasing in renters soon to come.

Sorry for the typo in the title, I was rushing through it.

Basically once the building is no longer FHA finance-able you are SOL. The only saving grace might be that some go to HomePath or conventional. Condos, depending on location are really taking it hard right now.

However if its that bad, it can more than likely go, or at least attempt to go all rental.
Is the building sold out? There was a building here in downtown San Diego that never sold out and it flipped back and forth from condo to rental. At one point it was both living in the building. What a nightmare.

Good luck to you. Any chance of renting it out and getting out of Dodge?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
I understand that, but do places that end up like this usually turn into apartment dwellings with 100% rentals?

What do HOAs usually do in situations like this especially when it is unlikely that they will get the money necessary to maintain the community?
The owners are responsible for paying HOA fees. When a majority of owners are investors not occupants, priorities tend to change.

This would be an excellent time for owner occupants to run for election and get familiar with state laws as it relates to obligations and pay particular attention to the association's reserves for major repairs and replacements.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 PM

45,381 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The owners are responsible for paying HOA fees. When a majority of owners are investors not occupants, priorities tend to change.

This would be an excellent time for owner occupants to run for election and get familiar with state laws as it relates to obligations and pay particular attention to the association's reserves for major repairs and replacements.

That's why a good, strong HOA Board is important. One that will go after delinquent owners and not wait around too long.

In reality, a rental majority won't impact the development too much if it's well run. Many investors are better at maintenance than owners. What is bad is what you've found out already, a large number of renters in a complex starts to impact the types of mortgages that can be issued which the ripples down to current owners wanting to sell.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Given that this is an old (1966) place that needs major work (we have a burned down building that has not been rebuilt and tons of maintenance issues), do you all think I would be crazy to just sell the place now and just take what I can get? The reason I ask is because if more renters come, the property value will go down and given the condition of it I have my doubts on how well it will recover.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:51 AM

45,381 posts, read 60,575,206 times
You sound like you're in one of those HOA's From Hell. The fact that you have a burned out building that hasn't even been demo'ed, let alone rebuilt, is a real bad sign.

I wouldn't want to give you advice, but getting out of Dodge might be something you need to really seriously consider. I say that assuming, hopefully, that you can at least break even. But the problem comes from your original question: your buyer pool is now much smaller because of the FHA exclusion.

You know, maybe find out who the largest outside investor in the development is and call him to see if he'll make an offer.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Given that this is an old (1966) place that needs major work (we have a burned down building that has not been rebuilt and tons of maintenance issues), do you all think I would be crazy to just sell the place now and just take what I can get? The reason I ask is because if more renters come, the property value will go down and given the condition of it I have my doubts on how well it will recover.
I think that every property owner who isn't happy with their present circumstances should sell their property now for whatever they can get, and get out from under it. This is based upon my opinion that the housing market will continue to decline for at least two years, and that's based upon my expectation that the present economic recession cannot possibly be fixed in any shorter term, and probably will take longer than that. If I'm correct about declining home prices then it's obvious every month you spend in your currently declining property is another month's loss of potential sale price. Furthermore if I'm right you will be able to buy a similar property in two years for significantly less than you can buy it today.

That's why I sold my San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles) house early this year. I wanted to live somewhere else (somewhere not so "Los Angeles"), and IMO was losing $1K-$2K per month in potential sale value. If present trends continue I'll be able to buy a similar house with my sale proceeds even including the 8%-10% closing costs, because I expect housing prices to be at least 8%-10% lower in two years.

If you don't like your property and want to live elsewhere (or rent) there's no better time than the present to sell (dump) for whatever the market is. Same applies if you have unacceptable conditions where you own now, like the condo complex that seems to be in meltdown. It looks like it'll be in a worse meltdown 1-2 years from now since I can't see any likely rescue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate