Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,276,817 times

Advertisements

question: the Home inspection has come up with items A B and C; the buyer requests those to be fixed; the seller turns around and says i will only do A and C (not B). Then the buyer says and i want the closing date to be pushed ahead by 10 days because of financing and we can do a rent situation until the initial closing date.

Question: Can the seller at any point say NO, i will not do either A B and C, if he/she has already agreed to do A and C?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,969,607 times
Yes, at the risk of breaking the contract and returning the earnest money.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,626,363 times
The seller is obligated to do whatever he agreed to but is not obligated to additional terms. At any point before the final sale, of course, the contract can be voided. A voided contract can mean an adversarial legal process unless all parties agree. If all parties agree, the buyer's earnest money is returned.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 AM

so....is the answer yes or no to the specific question?
can the seller say (after he/she has agreed to do A and C) that she will do either?

the buyer agent keeps on insisting that in order to 'lock things in place', the papers need to be signed 'before the seller changes his/her mind'. is that possible or is that scare tactics to close a deal asap?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,024,431 times
It sounds like maybe these things were agreed to verbally and not written. If that is correct it would probably be a difficult fight to hold them to it.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,734,117 times
Ask your attorney. You shouldnt have signed anything without hiring one.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,640,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
question: the Home inspection has come up with items A B and C; the buyer requests those to be fixed; the seller turns around and says i will only do A and C (not B). Then the buyer says and i want the closing date to be pushed ahead by 10 days because of financing and we can do a rent situation until the initial closing date.

Question: Can the seller at any point say NO, i will not do either A B and C, if he/she has already agreed to do A and C?
Yes he can.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 AM

thanks guys.
Yes, everything has been in writing up to this point.

Manderly6, does that mean that the seller can't say he/she won't do either A B or C?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,024,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
thanks guys.
Yes, everything has been in writing up to this point.

Manderly6, does that mean that the seller can't say he/she won't do either A B or C?
That is really a question for an attorney. But as others have said the seller can say or do whatever they want. The question becomes what are the ramifications for those actions.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,330,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That is really a question for an attorney. But as others have said the seller can say or do whatever they want. The question becomes what are the ramifications for those actions.

I agree with what manderly said here. I'm not an attorney, but was in a selling situation that we ended up backing out of for personal reasons that came up after accepting an offer, prior to contract. It was explained to me as a seller, they pretty much can't force you to sell your house. They technically can try and enforce a contract, but its very costly to do so and courts arren't really in too much favor of forcing people out of their home...

my guess in your situation, if they still wnat to sell, and you have it in writing you can get whatever conditions they've agreed to from them, as for moving things up, can can ask, insist, plead, you may get it, you may not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate