Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 03:56 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,206,958 times

Advertisements

I'll probably go ahead and buy something but it will not be for at least another 3 years, in which I'll be 41.

I feel like I am getting started with home ownership late in life but, I'll have a generous down payment to go along with whatever I want to change about the loft. I want to ensure I am comfortable paying for it. I do not want to struggle to make the payment.

I really do want to buy a loft. I know it's corney but a loft has always been my dream home. I live in Columbus now but I'll probably end up moving east or south when i make my purchase.

Thanks

Last edited by Ron.; 08-22-2011 at 04:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,498,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I'll probably go ahead and buy something but it will not be for at least another 3 years, in which I'll be 41.

I feel like I am getting started with home ownership late in life but, I'll have a generous down payment to go along with whatever I want to change about the loft. I want to ensure I am comfortable paying for it. I do not want to struggle to make the payment.

I really do want to buy a loft. I know it's corney but a loft has always been my dream home. I live in Columbus now but I'll probably end up moving east or south when i make my purchase.

Thanks
My neighbor did. She now owns three. I also know of a couple who bought their first home in their 50s.

The best time to buy is when you are ready. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,393,709 times
My co-worker just bought her first home at 42. If a loft is what you've always wanted, I say go for it. Life is too short.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:50 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,235,730 times
I was 39 when I bought my house...go for it.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:21 PM

42,002 posts, read 75,366,570 times
There is no expiration date on home ownership. My aunt bought her first house when she was in her 70s. She's now 94, and it was heck on earth trying to get her to sell because she could no longer manage the stairs etc.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,822,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

I really do want to buy a loft. I know it's corney but a loft has always been my dream home.
No such thing as "late in life" or "corny" when it comes to home ownership. It is your home, buy what you love within your means. If this is your dream home, congratulations!

I would much rather buy - really buy, not just start a mortgage - or put a substantial down payment in a house "later in life" than be a "homeowner" in my early 20s but keep paying the mortgage for decades until the house is actually mine.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
No such thing as "late in life" or "corny" when it comes to home ownership. It is your home, buy what you love within your means. If this is your dream home, congratulations!

I would much rather buy - really buy, not just start a mortgage - or put a substantial down payment in a house "later in life" than be a "homeowner" in my early 20s but keep paying the mortgage for decades until the house is actually mine.
Oh yeah, I have a substantial downpayment with the goal that's very doable of paying it off before I am 50. I have other reserves I've been putting away for years planning for they when I felt it was time to purchase, so no, no 30 year payment plan for me.

If all goes well with my business venture, I might not have a payment at all. That's why I planned 3 years out. I'll be able to add to my DP and as well as have money from other projects that I have that keeps extra cash coming in.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:16 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,759,879 times
I'm 47 and bought my first home here in the US last year.

Admittedly I have owned homes before, but not in this country.

I love having my own abode.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I'm 47 and bought my first home here in the US last year.

Admittedly I have owned homes before, but not in this country.

I love having my own abode.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,201,816 times
I agree with others that the best time to buy a home is when you are ready to do. I wouldn't worry about age at all. There's many valid reasons for holding off to buy a home. Now is a perfect time to buy a home if you can afford it. You probably saved yourself thousands by holding off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate