U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM
 
36 posts, read 101,859 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

My house was built in the early 70s and has had no major renovations done. Due to a dishwasher problem, repair of my kitchen was done using a contractor that worked with my insurance (Travelers). Part of the repair was "fixing" a wraped floor.

Subsequent to finished job (less than 6 mos. ago) due to improper installation of dishwasher it will be replaced by the person who worked for them, who oversaw the job and was my contact.

However, I have been also asking them to comeback and look at cracks around doorframes and other places (between first and second floor) and doors that don't close. The concern is the foundation.

The insurance company (Travelers) is aware of the issue and the agent that handled the claim referred us back to the contractor.

I've had no luck contacting the contractor directly...phones lead to mailbox # etc. My son, who made friends with one of the subcontractors, tells me that the contractor is "going under".

In the meantime a potential buyer has been asking about the house and is talking about bringing in an appraisser. This person wants to buy directly from me with no agent and has experince with renovations. The potential buyer knows about the "cracks".

We have talked but made no promises and I feel the price is fair and would give me back some equity. At this time I am not upside down in my mortgage nor behind. I have good credit and making payments is not an issue.

The market is not good in my area so a potential buyer is important.

I have no experince with this type of situation. I am wanting to sell this house (two story with an attached complete 1 bedroom, bath, living room and full kitchen apartment, approx 3,000 sf) because I am retired, no longer with extended family and need to downsize.

I think I need to ask insurance company to pay for a structural engineer to come out and evaluate situation. Then see what further action is needed or do I wait for the appraisser to come out see what he says then ask the insurance company for an engineer?

I see a potential battle ahead and want to do what is best even if this buyer doesn't pan out.

I would be grateful for feedback, suggested strategies etc.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
31,958 posts, read 73,558,402 times
Reputation: 38921
Quote:
Originally Posted by bltdf20 View Post
I think I need to ask insurance company to pay for a structural engineer to come out and evaluate situation.
The cost is (relatively) nominal.
If you're convinced it's needed (I'm not btw)... absorb the cost.

In the event that something actually turns up...
cross that bridge when you get to it.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-25-2011 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: added response to DM Q.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top