Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:42 PM

20 posts, read 25,853 times

Advertisements

OK, this is my first time selling on my own. I've only owner 1 other house, listed with an agent, and it sold within 60 days. This time around, I don't have as much equity, so I'm looking to make up for it by FSBO. I figured I would try it until the spring. Here is my marketing plan:

1) Listed on FSBO.com for MLS listing
2) Created website -- www.209RichfieldTerrace.com -- With pictures, area info, etc ... Any comments/suggestions on this would be great!
3) Ordered a lockbox & flyer dispenser for flyers
4) Posted on Craigslist
5) Making some 4-page color flyers that will be available for people that walkthough the house

I also did my research with 2 agents, plus an appraisal up front ... So my price is spot on, and it is not priced over market. I am maybe $3,000 high, but I wanted to leave a little room for negotiation.

Any advice/thoughts on the marketing side of it?

I'm still confused on which forms I need to get signed, but I'll get that figured out fairly soon. Thanks for any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 02:15 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
If you actually have a life, and a job, and live in a market with more than 5 or 6 potential qualified buyers and you aren't a relatively disinterested RE pro (like an investor selling 1 of 10 properties in their portfolio).... it's real, real, (REAL!) hard to justify the FSBO route in this market.

If you can't get the #1 listing agent in your zip code... get the next big hitter in their office.
Then do waht they say.

Best of luck to you anyway.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Suggestions:
*repaint the kitchen to a neutral color and take the artificial foliage from the tops of the cabinet;
*paint the accent wall in the bedroom to the same color as other walls and open the curtains & take new photo.
*People hate builder grade brass lighting: change out the light fixture in the diningroom to something more interesting like this: Contemporary Antique Bronze 3-light Chandelier | Overstock.com
*remove the road sign in the guest bedroom

Old 08-28-2011, 03:16 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
HIre a professional real estate photographer for your photos. The kitchen, which is crazy important to many people, is way too dark and some of your shots are just off. I personally cringe at the phrase "must see house" when agents do it. I don't think that is a phrase to copy. I don't think people will care what the home appraised at in 2009 either, so I'd just remove it from your website. Otherwise, I think you did a good job on the website.

I think FSBO's can also pay to be on Zillow so I would put your listing on there.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
I agree about getting professional photos done. The dining room looks so small in the shots that it looks like you could barely fit in it with the furniture. And one typo thing on the first page: " This ideal one level home with a newly remodeled, open floor plan home is full of quality features."

And yes, no one will care about a 2009 appraisal as it is meaningless now.

Other than that, you did a great job on the website, and it seems like you have done lots of work to get your house sold. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:30 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
we hired a professional photographer-he spent about 1 1/2 hours taking pictures of the house-it cost $150 and it was money well spent-

Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
HIre a professional real estate photographer for your photos. The kitchen, which is crazy important to many people, is way too dark and some of your shots are just off. I personally cringe at the phrase "must see house" when agents do it. I don't think that is a phrase to copy. I don't think people will care what the home appraised at in 2009 either, so I'd just remove it from your website. Otherwise, I think you did a good job on the website.

I think FSBO's can also pay to be on Zillow so I would put your listing on there.
The color of the kitchen may actually be not such a bad compromise since white appliances and dark cabinets are just not made to go together, especially espresso wood and white appliances ....

But
It Looks like the kithcen was short during a dark hour. Make pictures during the day time with some natural light coming. The more natural light in the pics - the better.
Bonus room seems really really nice.
Just take away all those machines. They make it look cluttered and distract from the beauty of patio doors and some great outside views.
IMHO I did not like that the dining room walls are painted in two colors and I did not like the china cabinet, but that could be personal.
And overall I would put as little furniture as possible. Make it look simplistic. Remove all the desks, coaches, signs, unless you are trying to sell them with the house.
Great house! I wish I could buy a house like that where I live )).

Last edited by Dressy; 08-28-2011 at 11:56 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 12:39 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Replace "Family friendly environment" with something else like "convenient location in desirable neighborhood".
Remove the word "quiet" from your street description. A very subjective term, don't go there.
What awards have the schools received, just out of curiousity. Be careful when conveying certain amenities - personally I would not mention the awards, perhaps just the names of the nearby public schools. Realtors would not even name the schools. Let people do their own diligence in researching the school system that they desire.

Definitely paint the kitchen area a light neutral color, perhaps the light color in the dining room. You need a few less colors overall.

Master bath is very pretty.

The Family Center sounds wonderful.

Take out the personal reasons on why you're selling. #1 Rule is, this is a business transaction; treat it as one. Keep your feelings and personal comments out of things.

The #2 Rule is, when a variety of persons call you and say "what's your bottom dollar" or some other inane question, simply reply "bring me an offer in writing, and we will consider it." Never discuss anything verbally. Some people think that if you are FSBOing your house you're either desperate or stupid. Assure them that you are neither from the get go.

Agree w/ others that your 2009 appraisal is not helpful. I would delete that reference and the link to the document.

It is a beautiful home in what seems to be a great location. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I had a few inquiries on my properties when I used this free site owned by Zillow

Free Real Estate Marketing Tools for Realtors & Landlords | Postlets

Old 08-29-2011, 07:15 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Talking Ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Suggestions:
*repaint the kitchen to a neutral color and take the artificial foliage from the tops of the cabinet;
*paint the accent wall in the bedroom to the same color as other walls and open the curtains & take new photo.
*People hate builder grade brass lighting: change out the light fixture in the diningroom to something more interesting like this: Contemporary Antique Bronze 3-light Chandelier | Overstock.com
*remove the road sign in the guest bedroom
We had an appraisal done on our home for selling purposes...we were told we needed to 'knock out this wall and install a second bathroom, and while we're at it had we ever considered 'taking it up another floor'...LOLOL...my response..'If I wanted a new house I'd build one...GET OUT'...
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate