Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM

22 posts, read 129,188 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm building a new home and wanted to put a contingency on the contract to satisfactory home inspection. But the builder says that's too subjective so he wants to put contingent to home inspection that doesn't violate building codes.

I was looking for inspectors and noticed that a lot of them state their inspections exclude checking for code violations.

Should I have the contingency changed? And to what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 08:41 AM

102 posts, read 601,766 times
There should be footing/slab, waterproofing/termite, framing, electrical, plumbing, concealment, and final inspections that are performed by the local government during the course of construction.

If there are code infractions, they local building inspectors should catch that. Keep in mind though, local building inspectors do not check for workmanship.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:38 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,983 times
I'd say about 80-90% of the stuff found on home inspection reports are cosmetic. Many builders will allow home inspections to occur but they (the builder) makes the call on what will and won't be fixed.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
I bought a new home with a one year, unconditional warranty. I am fortunate as anything I have asked to be done (all minor), I just called the builder and they were promptly done. We have an 11 month walk though scheduled and even though I watched this house being built, I know how things work, how things are built, etc. I am still going to pay a professional home inspector to inspect the home before I have my 11 month walk through.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:19 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
I would stand your ground on this.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,334 times
New homes are built by humans and as we all know, humans aren't perfect. You generally don't see code inspectors with ladders and Code inspectors typically won't walk on a roof or call out quality issues. Many problems on new homes are cosmetic, however, some problems were designed into the home which can create serious problems down the road. I have found electrical issues in a few new houses and even had the builder follow me around making corrections as I identified them. Many builders take pride in their work and do an excellent quality job, others, not so much. It's always in the best interest of a buyer to have a home inspection on a newly constructed home.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM

42 posts, read 171,740 times
i am in the process of having a new house built (next door) so i am over there every single day when i get off work. I also have several friends in construction who come over weekly and double check what theyve done. i must say we got lucky with our builder as there have been really no issues with our construction any minor issues were immediately corrected when i spoke to the builder or were corrected before i even got a chance to tell him. The owner of the company is there every single day his guys are double checking everything. We also get a walk through an 12 month unconditional warranty as mentioned. they are working with wood though which can never be perfect as its constantly changing or inperfect as is so i am amazed they are able to get it as perfect as they do.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pika_sil View Post
Hi, I'm building a new home and wanted to put a contingency on the contract to satisfactory home inspection. But the builder says that's too subjective so he wants to put contingent to home inspection that doesn't violate building codes.

I was looking for inspectors and noticed that a lot of them state their inspections exclude checking for code violations.

Should I have the contingency changed? And to what?
I would have to agree with Brandon Hoffman on this. The building codes are a minimum set of standards for the safe construction of a home. However they do not completely, and sometimes clearly, cover all aspects of a home's construction. Another concern with this request is that the building codes do allow the local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ, local Building Inspections Department) the ability to approve methods, materials, or other changes not specifically called for in the building codes. The AHJ making the call could be right that these differences are acceptable, or they could be wrong.

The biggest concern with this request though is what we as Inspectors frequently hear from builders when we do make a call on an issue found. A common builder response is "But the local AHJ approved it during their inspection so it must be right!". We hear this even when we point out the obvious issues that are even specifically prohibited in the building codes. The Inspectors for the AHJ are only human and could easily have missed the item in their brief periods on site performing the inspection. Or something could have changed from the time the AHJ inspected and the change was not caught in subsequent inspections.

Yet another possibility that the AHJ might have erred as a result of the building codes themselves. The building codes can not cover everything and will defer to the manufacturers recommend and approved usage and installation requirements. If the codes took all manufacturers requirements into account the code manuals would be so large it would literally take a large truck to haul them around in. As a result the Inspector might be aware of a specific manufacturers requirements that the AHJ was not aware of. However whatever the AHJ approves is usually what stands even if contrary to the manufacturers requirements.

What the builder's required change to your inspections means to you is that if there is a disagreement due to the inspection you are in for a fun ride! It will now be up to you to contact the AHJ and have the deficiency re-inspected by them and a determination made if it is allowed or not by them. Quite frankly the AHJ's are not equipped to handle this potential huge increase in inspection requirements. Even if they do agree to do this they might not be able to make the builder's, and your, time schedules for completions and closing. Obviously that would make for a very problematic situation for you.

With your verbiage it would basically fall on the builder to demonstrate to you that the Inspector did not make a proper call. In other words it is now all on the builder and not you. All you have to worry about is whether you will accept the builders explanation or decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate