Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:15 PM

27 posts, read 43,816 times

Advertisements

First-time home buyer here--I think I've found what I'm looking for (in a house), and my real estate agent and I talked yesterday about starting a contract and making an offer. She said she was completely free and on her own this weekend, so we discussed the basics and she put together a draft this morning.

Since then, I've had 2 emails, 5 phone calls, and a series of text messages. She emailed the contract to me around noon and wanted me to sign so she could pick it up right away. When I told her I needed some time, she said she'd time-stamped it for 1pm and thought we were going to wrap this up today. One of the many messages she left asked what a good time was this afternoon for her to drop by and pick up a check.

No one has made an offer on the place in the 8 months it has been on the market. I think we have time. Even if we didn't, it's Saturday on a holiday weekend, I need to get the attorney to review it, and just glancing through, changes need to be made.

Is this usual behavior? I'm locked in with this woman now and am so, so sorry I signed THAT little piece of paper. It's really made me hesitant to sign another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 06:30 PM

8,076 posts, read 10,037,062 times
Either her credit card bill arrived in this mornings mail (and she has NO idea how on earth she is even going to make the minimum monthly payment without getting your deal done) or she has a hot date somewhere other than where you live and needs to bolt town quickly.

Don't drag your feet, but don't rush into something just because suddenly she is in a rush. Review the contract, get an attoryney to look it over if you feel the need (i would), get the changes made which you feel need to be addressed, think through once again what you are buying, and THEN, if you still feel an offer is in your best interests, go for it.

The Realtor (at least in theory) is working for YOU. And the customer is always right. She just forgot for a moment.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:40 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,726,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Either her credit card bill arrived in this mornings mail (and she has NO idea how on earth she is even going to make the minimum monthly payment without getting your deal done) or she has a hot date somewhere other than where you live and needs to bolt town quickly.
I suspect that you're REAL close!
+1

Old 09-03-2011, 06:40 PM

274 posts, read 706,840 times
Listen, you didn't say how accomodating she's been so far, but really, she's broken up an entire holiday weekend to make sure that *if* you were ready to submit, you did. Did you respond to any of those calls or emails that you would be ready by "so-and-so a time" or did you ignore or be vague? What did you do in the past eight hours except be annoyed that she wants to make sure that she meets your expectations? Did you tell her up front that your attorney wouldn't be reviewing until Tuesday (since obviously, he's not contacting you 7-10 times in 8 hours)? The train goes both ways. The expectations should have been set some time ago, "some time" is not an expectation, from a client or an agent. Give her a timeline, and give her a break.

I'm used to changed schedules and "stalking" emails, because it's part of what we do. But you need to communicate with your agent, who is supposed to have your best interests at heart, not the internet community. Of course, she's only after your money ... of course. And no, don't sign any more paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicExYouth View Post
First-time home buyer here--I think I've found what I'm looking for (in a house), and my real estate agent and I talked yesterday about starting a contract and making an offer. She said she was completely free and on her own this weekend, so we discussed the basics and she put together a draft this morning.

Since then, I've had 2 emails, 5 phone calls, and a series of text messages. She emailed the contract to me around noon and wanted me to sign so she could pick it up right away. When I told her I needed some time, she said she'd time-stamped it for 1pm and thought we were going to wrap this up today. One of the many messages she left asked what a good time was this afternoon for her to drop by and pick up a check.

No one has made an offer on the place in the 8 months it has been on the market. I think we have time. Even if we didn't, it's Saturday on a holiday weekend, I need to get the attorney to review it, and just glancing through, changes need to be made.

Is this usual behavior? I'm locked in with this woman now and am so, so sorry I signed THAT little piece of paper. It's really made me hesitant to sign another.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:43 PM

274 posts, read 706,840 times
Of course, clear communication wouldn't be an issue, would it? My credit card bill has NO bearing on how I service my clients, shame on you for the cheap shot. "Suddenly she is in a rush?" Where's the reference point for that?

Quote:

Don't drag your feet, but don't rush into something just because suddenly she is in a rush. Review the contract, get an attoryney to look it over if you feel the need (i would), get the changes made which you feel need to be addressed, think through once again what you are buying, and THEN, if you still feel an offer is in your best interests, go for it.

The Realtor (at least in theory) is working for YOU. And the customer is always right. She just forgot for a moment.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlyles View Post
Listen, you didn't say how accomodating she's been so far, but really, she's broken up an entire holiday weekend to make sure that *if* you were ready to submit, you did. Did you respond to any of those calls or emails that you would be ready by "so-and-so a time" or did you ignore or be vague? What did you do in the past eight hours except be annoyed that she wants to make sure that she meets your expectations? Did you tell her up front that your attorney wouldn't be reviewing until Tuesday (since obviously, he's not contacting you 7-10 times in 8 hours)? The train goes both ways. The expectations should have been set some time ago, "some time" is not an expectation, from a client or an agent. Give her a timeline, and give her a break.

I'm used to changed schedules and "stalking" emails, because it's part of what we do. But you need to communicate with your agent, who is supposed to have your best interests at heart, not the internet community. Of course, she's only after your money ... of course. And no, don't sign any more paper.
I should've made it clear--I haven't dodged her attempts at communication: I've answered each email and text and returned every phone call. I even picked up the one that she made in the middle of the Alabama game--she's from New Jersey, so I didn't expect her to understand that was not cool.

But calling at noon and saying she expected the contract back in an hour was just too much. I told her I felt rushed, and then suggested the Tuesday time frame (which was followed by a deep sigh and a moment of silence, before quietly saying she was expected this to be completed this afternoon. It was creepily spouse-like.) I came to the "Internet community" only to see if I was wrong in thinking she was unreasonable.

And no one asked her to give up her holiday weekend. She insisted. I told her I was perfectly fine doing it next week. And who expects--or WANTS TO PAY--for a lawyer to read a contract on a Sunday or a Monday holiday? Honestly, communications were pretty good until I signed that paper giving her exclusive rights to my business. The minute that happened, the hustle started. I'm totally not impressed.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,431,011 times
Some properties do go under contract quickly, even if they were on the market a long time. She has probably seen this occur before.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Of course, clear communication wouldn't be an issue, would it? My credit card bill has NO bearing on how I service my clients, shame on you for the cheap shot. "Suddenly she is in a rush?" Where's the reference point for that?
I think the entire OP is a reference point for that.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks--this sounds about right to me. Although she has me in knots--renting again looks really good right now.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:

I'm used to changing schedules and time frames, absolutely. Stalking emails and phone calls...no. I don't do that.

Personally I would find it highly irritating if someone called me that many times in an 8 hour period as a client. Shoot when I was in the middle of a lawsuit I didn't talk to my attorney that many times a day. The problem that she has, whether it is her intent or not, is that this looks like a pressure tactic. She looks like she is pushing the OP to make an offer that they aren't comfortable with at this time. Who cares when something is time stamped? That is easy to change

I think it makes her look desperate, personally. I have no idea of her intent but not sure she realizes how it looks on the receiving end.

OP just relax for the weekend, have an attorney review the contract, and make sure you are comfortable moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate