Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
what do you think of that house though?
Personally I don't like new construction, as they lack the charm and quality materials of an older home... but if there were ANY house in that price range around here, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. Yeah right, LOL. However, if that were the average home price, I would definitely look for something older & less "cookie-cutter." JMO though, and I'm sure it's a perfectly fine house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
right. anything up to 250k, that is a new construction.
I'm not sure how you took what I posted and came up with that anything up to 250k was "right". It isn't. As I said, if you have no other debt, and good emergency savings, you can afford a mortgage of up to around $115k-$120k. Add your down payment on top of that to get your maximum purchase price. Without knowing how much you plan to put down (and how much other debt you have, which I don't think you have said, either), we can't say what purchase price you can afford.

Quote:
i care more about the look of a house then when im glancing online then the specs.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:38 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
would you buy a nice house if you couldn't afford it?
That would be really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really STUPID.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
what do you think of that house though?
Truthfully, the vinyl (or is it aluminum) siding looks pretty cheap to me. I'm not a fan of shingle roofs, but that's probably a regional bias. Only one FULL bathroom in a 3 bedroom home sounds unacceptable to me (both personally and for eventual resale). And the Formica countertops look like the house was built decades ago - cheap and way out of date.

I have no idea what is available in your area, but I don't see what you find so attractive about this house - except something that's stuck in your brain about it being "new.". There ARE some disadvantages of new.

This entire thing reminds me of a guy walking into a car dealership and buying a car because he likes the color. Then you drive it, and find that it isn't comfortable. Then it loses it's 'new car smell' and gets a ding or two. Guess what? Same thing happens with a new home. It's not NEW forever.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That would be really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really STUPID.

Ya think?????????????????????????????:s mack:

Old 09-29-2011, 08:57 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
My first thought when I opened up the link was that it looks exactly like the homes our production builders build here. The homes that are cranked out as quickly as possible and have no personality or uniqueness, and look exactly like 30 other houses in the subdivision. To me, that is what this exterior looks like, is a cookie cutter production line home.

If that is what you are looking for, then you are all set, but I don't see anything that would make this house call out to me as special. But as JK said, I too do not know what is available for what prices in your area. For your price range (the one you actually can afford, not your dream range), maybe that is the best out there, I just can't say.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:06 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Quote:
would you buy a nice house if you couldn't afford it?
No, I live in the real world.

I can't imagine why on earth you would want to do something like that. Surely you are not a bad enough person to deserve such punishment.

A better idea might be to do it the other way - - buy LESS of a house than you can afford, so that you can pay it off early (or at least make lower payments), and enjoy life a little before you grow old.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
No, I live in the real world.

I can't imagine why on earth you would want to do something like that. Surely you are not a bad enough person to deserve such punishment.

A better idea might be to do it the other way - - buy LESS of a house than you can afford, so that you can pay it off early (or at least make lower payments), and enjoy life a little before you grow old.
what about like a 50,000 house, putting about 50k of upgrades into it and doing it that way.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
I believe this is a troll. You've all been scammed.

( Troll, as in trolling for fish. Not a scary creature that lives under a bridge. )

( One who trolls is a troller. A troller posts a troll. )

( People always say "don't feed the trolls," but it is more correctly: Don't bite what the troller offers to youse. )

Last edited by mortimer; 09-29-2011 at 04:01 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I believe this is a troll. You've all been scammed.

( Troll, as in trolling for fish. Not a scary creature that lives under a bridge. )

( One who trolls is a troller. A troller posts a troll. )

( People always say "don't feed the trolls," but it is more correctly: Don't bite what the troller offers to youse. )
you think im a troll dont post in the thread, simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate