Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
Quick market update, Florida's market is not booming anymore, it's in decline, and I"m pretty sure the same is true in San Diego. Check out Housing Market Forecasts and Real Estate News

I think the only places in the U.S. that are "booming" are seattle and New York city, based of of hearsay.
Well, it's still booming pretty well up here depending on the price range of course....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 AM

75 posts, read 404,323 times
I am from Alabama; where are you talking about? There is a huge difference in 245k and 150k. Based on what you have said, I can't imagine that property will appraise for near what they are asking. My advise would be that whatever you offer make it contigent on appraisal and be below what you anticipate that appraisal will be; say 20% less. So, if you anticipate an appraisal for example of 200k then make your offer 20% less contingent on appraisal. Then if appraisal comes in less then you are still at 20% discount of whatever the amount. If it comes in more you made more equity. You have amazing opportunities right now as a first time buyer. PM me your location and I can probably hook you up with an agent that can help. Being from Bama I wish I could do it myself but I can definitely help from behind the scenes.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
How bad do you want it? How long will you live there? How would you feel if someone bought it tomorrow for close to the asking price; bad, or that you dodged a bullet?
If you love it and you'd love living there and you'll keep thinking about it, then maybe the asking price is worth it for you. Is the neighborhood going to keep improving, or decline?

Old 08-22-2007, 10:48 AM

485 posts, read 1,454,994 times
First, your assertion that Florida is a booming market is totally incorrect. It is probably one of the worst markets at present with lots of homes on the market for a long time with people dropping prices right and left.

Second, I live in Alabama and where I live it is very common to see houses that sold for $100K 10 years ago being remodeled and sold for over $200K. I see this all the time because the area of town where many of the older people lived for years with little updating are now being sold to people moving into the area because of the good public schools. The key is to get a CMA and let that guide you.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Any emotional ties to a property will usually get in the way of making rational decisions. I would suggest that you find an agent that is willing to represent you in making any offers on the house in question. This makes the agent the 'messenger' and would leave you out of the emotional loop, so to speak.

Have your agent do a CMA (Comparative Market Analysis) for you and then decide on what to offer. If you truly want the house, go for it. Good luck

Well said Northwoods, an emotional approach is the worst way to enter any investment transaction including housing. Rational decisions are best made through a due diligence approach such as a CMA, Agent, Buyers Home Rating Program and home work. Buyer's think it through before you dive in.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 AM

34 posts, read 114,758 times
Sorry, I will never again say Florida is a booming real estate market. I've seen posts on here and other sites that used it as an example, so that must now be out-dated. I am finding more and more that real estate is a totally relative and vague gamble of a business, and contradictions and exeptions are everywhere. I think that's why it's so frustrating when you are totally ignorant, because you think you are making headway, then someone says something totally opposite and makes you feel like a fool. A little dramatic, but this is a big step and I don't need vagueness...but I guess it is what it is.

And Marysally made a good point, I am hoping if we buy this house at a decent price and other younger people move in and fix up houses, the neighborhood will improve. Maybe not.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
I stand corrected! I have to remember to never say never.

But what banks use BPO's on consumer purchases? The only time I've heard of banks using BPO's are when they are going through with a foreclosure. Nothing to do with making a new loan.
Wrong - BPO's are an inexpensive way for the lenders to get 2 or 3 other opinions plus the appraisal. They usually get BPO's for refis.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:43 PM

14 posts, read 126,069 times
well first make sure to recieve a mortgage approval then go shopping.

if you have found a home that you like....keep in mind that the lender will appraise that house. If it comes in low...then you just wasted 300-400 for an appraisal.

I find it amazing anyone Worries about "wasting" $300-$400 for appraisal and is Unconcerned about Over-paying by $10 Grand! OMG, it's backwards to logic.

The appraisal contingent clause is VITAL today, and why not get a good EXPERIENCED appraiser who has worked in THAT market since Way before this boom insanity, lke 15-20 years ago? Not commissioned and Not biased, if you choose right.....

Old 09-01-2007, 02:42 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
actually if appraisal comes in low, good for you buyer. you are out of contract.. or the seller can reduce the price to meet the appraisal. It happens all the time. If they need to sell, then that may be the final nudge they needed to get the price down.

Shelly

Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 PM

34 posts, read 114,758 times
Update: I found out yesterday that the house still hasn't sold. They have dropped the price down to $159,000...told you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate