Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 01:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times

Advertisements

Hi Group,

Let's say have a budget of 10K and you want to invest that money into home improvement projects that will get the most return on your investment (under the presumption the house will be put up for sale soon). Here are the options, based on the needs for this particular property:

-- landscaping, including trees, flowers, bushes, clearing/weed removal, and perhaps some hardscaping (although the hardscaping adds up quickly, so I'll hardscaping as a separate option also)

-- hardscaping . . . new driveway and pathways around entrance (current driveway is pea gravel)

-- hardscaping . . . firepit and outdoor seating area

-- addition of a garden shed with rain harvesting system

-- wooden fencing around garden space

-- addition of hardscaping/removal of old concrete around entrance (this house was a remodel and there are some awkward remnants of the old house, including these concrete barriers that need to masked or removed).

-- something else

Thanks very much in advance for any ideas or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 02:16 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Clear and clean throughout the property.
Caulk, prime, paint and similar surface remedies. (tree trimming, flower bed mulch)
Fix anything that's actually broken. (from appliances to roofing)

$10,000 won't go a lot farther than that.
No substantive changes to anything at all... and especially if the plan is to sell.

hth

Old 10-01-2011, 02:25 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,195 times
Clean Clean Clean-then if you can spruce up wood floors/take up old stained carpet-give the walls a fresh coat of paint-

Old 10-01-2011, 02:59 PM

I should have mentioned that the house itself is brand new; this was a complete remodel, so everything (interior and exterior) is less than a year old. Everything but the unfinished basement.

Is the 10K spent on improving the appearance of the property itself a waste of money?

Old 10-01-2011, 03:01 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I would hang onto the cash, put the house up for sale and see what kind of feedback you get.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Is the 10K spent on (non functional and cosmetic) improving the appearance of the property itself a waste of money?
Even if you are planning to stay put for 30 years... pretty much so and for the duration.
Check back in again in a few years.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:13 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'd suggest bringing in a couple of realtors (you're gonna hire one when you sell anyway, and you should be interviewing several before you select one).

Let those realtors look at the house and make their suggestions. I'd recommend that you NOT tell them the dollar amount you want to spend. Just ask: What should be do to make this house most marketable?

Those realtors will know YOUR market, and YOUR competition.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Curb appeal gets them in the house. How much does this property have? Anything done to improve it will pay off.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Curb appeal gets them in the house. How much does this property have? Anything done to improve it will pay off.
That's where I've spent most of my energy so far . . . cleared out the jungle that was the front of the property and replaced with mulch, ground cover, flowers etc. Major transformation. But there's still lots to be done.

But if I'm not going to get a return, then I'll call it a day and run with it. I've already put thousands (probably close to 8K) into landscaping, hardscaping etc. to improve curb appeal, but at the time, I thought I would stay. Decided to sell instead.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default You can't "buy" a buyer...

Honestly if you spent this $10,000 that is apparently burning a hole in your pocket on a nice stack of gold coins there is absolutely no way it would entice buyers to spend $10,000 more than they otherwise would have. In fact, given the current dismal activity in pretty much every real estate market even lowering you asking price $10,000 or more below what would be fair may not attract any buyers if the number of foreclosures in your area is high...

Why do you want / need to sell? It won't really make a difference to potential buyers BUT if you can wait until demand improves that may be a wise move.

That ten grand you are thinking about spending might be thought of as X months of payments -- maybe a "fuse" toward an improving economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
That's where I've spent most of my energy so far . . . cleared out the jungle that was the front of the property and replaced with mulch, ground cover, flowers etc. Major transformation. But there's still lots to be done.

But if I'm not going to get a return, then I'll call it a day and run with it. I've already put thousands (probably close to 8K) into landscaping, hardscaping etc. to improve curb appeal, but at the time, I thought I would stay. Decided to sell instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate