Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:38 PM

861 posts, read 1,124,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
What? You found a dead person and then moved in?
lol thats what i was thinking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 10:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Like I said, do what feels right to you.

But do realize, this is a major problem for a lot of people, which means when you try to sell the house later down the line, it may take longer because you may miss out on some buyers over this.
I know in the state I live in you don't have to disclose if someone died in the house. I would think it would be that way everywhere.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
It's not that way everywhere. It's different in every state.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
The first house my husband and I bought together the previous owner died in the house. I had a suspicion because it was an estate sale and when I asked the realtor she was vague but I got the feeling she knew. After moving in, my neighbors happily told me the old woman died in the bedroom. I felt sad and a bit creeped out. We made that bedroom a tv room. Then as time went on, my neighbors told me stories about the woman. She was quite lovely, popular and everyone seemed to have adored her. She was the president of a gardening club and social. I am not much of a gardner but anything I planted bloomed. I can't think of one plant that didn't make it while I lived in that house. Of course the logical explantation is that the soil was rich because she was an avid gardner. I'm not really a person that believes in ghosts or anything but I was pretty creeped out for the first 6 months living in the house. Then it dawned on me that if she was such an amazing person like everyone said she was, then she would be pleased I had put my love and handwork into the place.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

I guess your mind is made up but just want you to know that according to Feng Shui theory, predecessor history is extremely important.

Don't say you were not warned.

I do wish you the best.
Oh whatever.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times
Quote:
I guess your mind is made up but just want you to know that according to Feng Shui theory, predecessor history is extremely important.

Don't say you were not warned.

I do wish you the best.

Ok..now the house isn't creeping me out...but you are!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:58 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
The first house my husband and I bought together the previous owner died in the house. I had a suspicion because it was an estate sale and when I asked the realtor she was vague but I got the feeling she knew. After moving in, my neighbors happily told me the old woman died in the bedroom. I felt sad and a bit creeped out. We made that bedroom a tv room. Then as time went on, my neighbors told me stories about the woman. She was quite lovely, popular and everyone seemed to have adored her. She was the president of a gardening club and social. I am not much of a gardner but anything I planted bloomed. I can't think of one plant that didn't make it while I lived in that house. Of course the logical explantation is that the soil was rich because she was an avid gardner. I'm not really a person that believes in ghosts or anything but I was pretty creeped out for the first 6 months living in the house. Then it dawned on me that if she was such an amazing person like everyone said she was, then she would be pleased I had put my love and handwork into the place.
What a neat story! When I called to get an ins quote on the house we are looking at the agent knew the history..and the husband. Said he was a super nice guy. My realtor knows people who knew him who say that as well. I'd like to think he would be happy to see his house filled with kids and dogs.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
It's not that way everywhere. It's different in every state.
That really seems unfair. All homes will have a death occur eventually. The ghost thing is stupid and it doesn't affect the house in any way except in peoples imaginations.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
lol that's what i was thinking...
I was thinking maybe he found the body WHEN he moved in after the place being empty for two weeks.
Either way, dead body ... two weeks ......

The death smell is unmistakable.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Here, you only have to disclose a death in the house if the house was somehow pertinent to the death. In the case of a fall down stairs, that would have to be disclosed, because it could possibly be something about the way the stairs were built that contributed to the fall. If someone simply died in the house in a way to which the house was not a contributing factor, it does not have to be disclosed. For a relatively recent death, I'd say disclose anyway. However, most really old homes are going to have had a death of some sort occur in them, as that used to be more normal than dying in a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate