Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,710 times

Advertisements

I am a college student at University of Texas at Austin in Austin, TX and looked on craigslist for private room rentals. There are many, and I moved into a 2 bed/2 bath apartment leased for 12 months by 1 person (the only person on primary lease). The guy on the lease sleeps in the living room and rents out the other 2 bedrooms for $450/mo to other college students and I do not think he has consent of the landlord. We pay the guy on the lease in check every month. It is stated on the main lease agreement in print that room rentals are not allowed unless agreed upon by the landlord in writing. Again, it does not say that renting the rooms is not allowed but that it is only allowed when the landlord consents and agrees in writing.

I like this room, have already moved my stuff in, and have already settled in in this place with the 2 other people. After finding this out, I have done some research and it says that the only possible consequences we may face (if any) is possible 3-day notice to move out by the landlord. I also read posts by others online who said that this is very common in large cities like Austin/Houston and college towns and that they advise to just keep renting the room and not cause any disturbance and that it will be fine as long as the landlord gets paid the rent monthly. The guy on the lease has leased the 2bed/2bath apartment for 1.5 years now and I believe he has done this for a quite a while to save money. He has already rented this room to many people during this time. I have checked out some other private rooms on craigslist in-person by medical students, graduate students, college students, and many (50%+) are doing the same thing.

I am assuming that the biggest consequence of renting out a room without written consent by landlord in Texas again would only be to face a 3-day notice to leave and then eviction if we do not leave within 3 days. I just want to make sure this is the worst-case scenario, and that the main tenant on the lease is the one that will bear the largest risk and consequence in doing this as they are the only ones legally responsible. The guy on the lease is a medical student and the other roommate is a nursing student and they are both great people. If I like this place, the people, and the amenities should I just continue renting this private room and not find somewhere else? Again, I just want to know all the potential consequences that I could face continuing to rent this room for $450/mo from the guy on the lease with no written consent by the landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 04:47 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,581,304 times
I think we found your landlord.

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ught-some.html

You are completely off the hook from any repercussions outside of a 3-day notice.

Keep quiet, $450/room is a steal.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:48 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
You're fine, just be a good tenant/roommate and it will be fine. You did well by renting with a doctor and a nurse.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 2,710 times
Okay, I think under Texas law the landlord must give tenants 3-day notice to vacate before they can file for an eviction lawsuit. If I move out within the 3-day notice, the landlord cannot file any kind of eviction/legal lawsuit against me right?

I just want to make sure that I have an "out" and that I can just pack up leave within 3 days to avoid any kind of legal record that other landlords/people can see on my background check and rental property history.

Thank you.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 AM

127 posts, read 107,453 times
You aren’t on the lease, there are no legal repercussions for you. You should just have a plan in case you need to move quickly. Enjoy the bargain!!

Old 07-14-2018, 12:49 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,135,818 times
Can you find a place to move to within three days?

Old 07-14-2018, 02:44 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,581,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress55 View Post
Okay, I think under Texas law the landlord must give tenants 3-day notice to vacate before they can file for an eviction lawsuit. If I move out within the 3-day notice, the landlord cannot file any kind of eviction/legal lawsuit against me right?

I just want to make sure that I have an "out" and that I can just pack up leave within 3 days to avoid any kind of legal record that other landlords/people can see on my background check and rental property history.

Thank you.
Correct. You’re protected, just need to have an extended stay hotel up in Round Rock on speed dial, or the ability to grab an apartment at the last minute.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Like others has mentioned. And if the actual landlord shows up be ready to go.
If I was the landlord and I found out my tenant were renting out rooms I would raise his rent.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:43 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBat View Post
You aren’t on the lease, there are no legal repercussions for you. You should just have a plan in case you need to move quickly. Enjoy the bargain!!

You cannot be evicted by the landlord since you are not a legal tenant. You can be given a notice to vacate, so do not bring in more to your room than you can pack up and get out within the 3 days' notice. And pay your rent on time. While the student from whom you are renting does not have standing to do so, you never know if he might actually try a legal eviction against someone in arrears on the rent.

Even if without merit/standing, you don't want your name to appear as the respondent/defendant in an eviction case.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:

Thank you.
If you rent a PO box, there is no way the landlord could even find out who you are. Tell the guy on the lease to just say you don't exist, and don't leave your mail laying around the apartment. To be named in an eviction notice, they have to have a name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate