Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 AM

121 posts, read 412,300 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of buying a condo and in my financial documents it says I will need hazard insurance. I didn't think I would be needing this, so I asked the mortgage broker and he said I'd have to find out what the condo's master insurance covers. I called their insurance agency and they said it covered "some walls in", but that I'd have to call the condo's management agency to find out for sure. I'm waiting for a call back from them - ?

One of the first brokers I was working with (my agent's "mortgage guy") had a line for $1300 for hazard insurance on the GFE he sent me, I asked him why I needed it and he said - "oh, that was a mistake" and took it off the GFE.

I'm not sure who has the answer to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
The second mortgage broker is correct. Each and every condominium association varies in it's coverage that is included in the master policy.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks - that's good to know since I have a much better feeling of trust about mortgage broker #2.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:21 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
Sure thing. With that being said, make sure that you read the condo docs so you know what you are joining into.

Also, $1300 is a lot for hazard insurance on a condo. Maybe the first person wasn't paying attention to your file and assumed that you were purchasing a single family home.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:26 AM

thanks - I've read over the association rules, budget, the finance people are also checking the budget and the management.

I know that condos are restricting in a lot of ways, but for me, I tend to be one who doesn't mind rules and guidelines on things like pets, decorations, parking, noise, what you can/cannot put on your balcony etc. etc.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:39 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
If your condo is in a hurricane area, hazard insurance is priceless; when the glass breaks, the whole place is flattened, the roof comes off and your place is drenched, etc. Or if you are in an earthquake zone, you need extra insurance for that.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM

is hazard insurance typically part of the HOA master insurance? I realize it varies from association to association, but wondered if it is typically covered.

is hazard insurance something one pays each year just like car or renters insurance?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
yes, there should be a master policy in place. I would encourage you to get content insurance to protect your stuff.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:59 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Many condos only cover exterior hazard insurance. If a pipe in your condo breaks and floods your condo, ruins the carpet and baseboards, etc. it's usually your insurance that pays and not the condo insurance. Which is why lenders require you to have it for the interior. But since it's only partial coverage, it's cheaper than a house. $1,300 does sound like way too much but it's best to understand what coverage you need an get a quote. Then you know for sure.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Ask the association's insurance agency for the association's certificate of insurance. It should minimally include, property liability/umbrella, D&O, commercial auto, including hired and non-owned auto and fidelity. If the association has direct employees Workers Comp and Employment Practices, including harassment and sexual molestation are necessary. Flood and/or earthquake insurance are also common, dependent on location.

Association insurance is designed to protect the association ( collective owners) from external exposures. Condo owners usually need their own insurance to transfer the potential exposures associated with their unit and stuff within the unit.

Condo owners also need to consider liability insurance for claims related to potential accidents within their own unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate