Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times

Advertisements

We just had our offer accepted on a house that needs some remodeling..specifically the master bath. As it is..I would guess it is about 5 x 7. Veeeery small. It has a single sink..a toilet and a stand up shower. There is a hall on the other side that we are taking up to add space to the bathroom. (3 x 7) We are going to add double sinks and can't decide on the shower. I personally don't like to bathe in a tub and prefer to shower. However, while we are totally gutting the space and remodeling should we put in a bathtub/shower combo instead of a stand up shower? Does either affect resale or does it not matter? I saw a show on HGTV where the realtor painted no tub in a negative light. I just hate to take up precious space with a big ole tub we aren't really going to use. So out of these 2 scenerios which is better for resale?

1. Stand up shower with more space...
2. Bathtub making things a tighter squeeze...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
If the house doesn't other wise have a tub (very rare)... yes put one in.
But adding a SECOND tub is rarely a benefit.

fwiw... I'd suggest:
Make the shower as big as you can fit.
Make the lavatory top as big as you can fit but eliminate the second sink.

hth

Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
So long as there is another bathroom that has a tub in the house you should plan on building the nicest shower you can afford. Most folks shopping for homes that are older will be thrilled to have an updated shower in the master - people really appreciate the "everyday luxury" .

If there is no other bathtub it is hard to wash little kids / pets.

Luxury tubs tend to be giant water / energy / time wasters...

Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Luxury tubs tend to be giant water / energy / time wasters...
I agree with you!!! Yes..there is another bathroom with a tub/shower combo.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
If my wife walked into a house that did not have a tub in the master bath...that house would be off her list to buy in a NY minute.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanat30 View Post
We just had our offer accepted on a house that needs some remodeling..specifically the master bath. As it is..I would guess it is about 5 x 7. Veeeery small. It has a single sink..a toilet and a stand up shower. There is a hall on the other side that we are taking up to add space to the bathroom. (3 x 7) We are going to add double sinks and can't decide on the shower. I personally don't like to bathe in a tub and prefer to shower. However, while we are totally gutting the space and remodeling should we put in a bathtub/shower combo instead of a stand up shower? Does either affect resale or does it not matter? I saw a show on HGTV where the realtor painted no tub in a negative light. I just hate to take up precious space with a big ole tub we aren't really going to use. So out of these 2 scenerios which is better for resale?

1. Stand up shower with more space...
2. Bathtub making things a tighter squeeze...
I wouldn't care if there was no tub in the main bathroom, but I would HAVE to have on in the master bathroom. I take baths rather than showers, and the idea of having to toddle down the hallway to the bedroom after taking a bath is not appealing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanat30 View Post
Question about remodeling and resale
Does either affect resale or does it not matter?
How long do you expect to be there before this future "resale" event may happen?

If the answer is 5 years or less... then do NOTHING AT ALL
If the answer is 9.9 years or less... focus on the mechanical's.*
If the answer is 10 years or more... then do exactly what YOU want.

hth

Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I wouldn't care if there was no tub in the main bathroom, but I would HAVE to have on in the master bathroom. I take baths rather than showers, and the idea of having to toddle down the hallway to the bedroom after taking a bath is not appealing.

20yrsinBranson
Me, too!

A long soak at the end of every day.

I don't even want to stay in a hotel that does not have a tub --- with a drain that can be closed!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The OP is looking at a home that has master bath that is under 50 sq ft. Such a home is probably not going to be on the radar of move-up buyers unless it is in such a desirable area that pretty much all buyers would be considering tearing it down / doing major addition.

Since the OP is also considering doing a minor rearrangement of walls to give bit more room that allow for a slightly more comfortable bathroom it is safe to assume this is not really a "high end" type move so much as they fixing up something that is rather modest

Other buyers would almost certainly fall into a similar category.

Now if this was an entirely different kind of development, where all the homes had luxury master suits with 5+ pieces in the bath then of course it would be a grave error to rip out a tub, and frankly they would end up with so HUGE a master shower that it could probably be used to wash the car.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the NEED for some folks to fill up a tub and just soak, but it certainly does not strike me that this home has much potential to be mistaken for a suite at the Ritz, nor would it be likely for the kind of buyers who will be considering such a home down the road to be so overwhelmed with options that are so superior to this that it will be unsellable...

Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I would do what is going to make your lives more comfortable, not worry about a re sale.

you never know what is going to be the rage 10 years for now. Live for today and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate