Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:45 PM

31 posts, read 53,139 times

Advertisements

So we were supposed to close on Monday this week. Two hours before closing my agent calls me and tells me that the buyers lending company has royally screwed up and everything has to go back through underwriting. It was then postponed until today.

Today my agent calls and the buyers have discovered that they overestimated closing costs and stand to lose $1500 (basically they asked for $1500 more than they could b/c it is a VA loan). Even though we have a signed legal contract they threatened to breach it unless we agreed to a lower price and less in closing costs. I was livid at the time but we agreed to it because we've invested too much time and money into the deal to just walk over this.

The sad thing is, if they had just asked us, we would have agreed to it just to be nice. But instead they pitched a hissy fit and are acting like total jerks. Now we are supposed to hopefully close this Friday, but I don't anticipate it happening before Monday or Tuesday next week. Fingers crossed they don't decide to ask for any more . . . because I'm to the point I'll tell them to take their offer and shove it somewhere unpleasant. I might even do the shoving for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Yes, so sorry to hear you are on the receiving end of someone's bad manners. In this market, buyers think they can screw anyone over the coals because they know you want and need to sell. Hope you can hold your tongue and just realize it will be over soon. (hopefully)

Old 11-03-2011, 02:41 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, so sorry to hear you are on the receiving end of someone's bad manners. In this market, buyers think they can screw anyone over the coals because they know you want and need to sell. Hope you can hold your tongue and just realize it will be over soon. (hopefully)
This is sound advice.

Advice I do not like, as personally I would like slap down this type ahole buyer one time....LOL

Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
If you want your house sold, play along, and get it sold. If you allow your ego to get in the way, you may blow the deal. Unless you have buyers knocking down your door, just play along.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:53 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Over the past several years I have become convinced that real estate is the slimiest business other than drugs or human trafficking. Used car dealers are ten rungs up the ladder compared to real estate transactions these days.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
So, what did you do?

Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Over the past several years I have become convinced that real estate is the slimiest business other than drugs or human trafficking. Used car dealers are ten rungs up the ladder compared to real estate transactions these days.
The combo of greed and emotion are present in most real estate transactions, especially when the market favors either the buyer or seller.

Those ( end consumers and some real estate agents, too) who view agency as nothing more than the party who unlocks doors to let buyers in, do not understand the nature of this business.

None of us know the details of the OP's transaction. Assuming it's traditional and there are two agents involved, one or both could have reframed it and in doing so, mitigated some of the emotion.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
It is tough in a stressful time like this to have to deal with buyers like that. Soon it will be a distant memory.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:20 PM

31 posts, read 53,139 times
I sucked it up - like I said I would - and closed yesterday. So glad it is over. They apparently turned on their Realtor and made him pay for the four days they rented the house from us when closing was delayed. I admit, I had a good laugh at that.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:03 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
Glad you closed, but hearing they were already in your house, makes me think they were full of hot-air with their threats. I also went through "gimme, gimme" buyers this year. I gave what I said I would, and said NO MORE. It went through. But I have to admit, I'd already been through heck and back with the previous "buyers", so was in a mood. That one ended cause they spoke of no-no's in front of the lender, days before closing.

The problem with this being a buyers market, is they start believing they're God, and we sellers must worship at their feet. Fairness has gone out the window concerning R.E.. Buyers dont want the sellers to make any money or pay a fair price. I wish sellers were not allowed to pay buyers closing costs, that if buyers dont have their own costs, they cant afford to buy. Sellers already pay the realtors, etc... I hope when these nazi buyers go to sell, they get buyers just LIKE them. And I'm not being biased, cause I bought my home last year. My seller must have loved me, I didnt ask for the moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate