Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to work with a brokerage that has a physical office?
I want to meet my broker in a proper office, with a conference room. 13 36.11%
A safe, quiet place is OK, but not a noisy coffee shop or fast food place. 2 5.56%
I prefer an office, but quickly meeting in a coffee shop for convenience is OK. 6 16.67%
We can do it all remotely, and I see no reason for an office. Just added overhead the consumer has to cover. 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times

Advertisements

There are a few "virtual" real estate agents in our MLS. When you look up the corporation they work for you see something like 400+ agents on the roster all over the state.

It's always made me wonder how in the world the broker can exercise the "reasonable supervision" required by CA law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
I always have clients stopping by to see me, since my office is on the main commerical strip in town right in front of Home Deport, restaurants and a large electronic stores.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:24 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Interesting question. I don't think I would have even noticed when selling my house. All the meetings took place at my house.

I certainly would have noticed in my last purchase as I was buying out of town and we always needed a place to meet up and to do paperwork. It would have been "odd" to meet at a coffee shop or some other business. Not sure I would be comfortable talking numbers where other people could hear me.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Matthias View Post
...but here in PA, they are more of what I can hubs or for meet 'n greets. No receptionist (live answer on 800 #), but fully equipped to hold settlements. Honestly, I see it as a way of the future.
This is similar to my broker's setup. We have office hubs around the Phoenix area with no receptionist, but there is a part time local office manager at each location to keep an eye on things. Has a conference room we can schedule for client meetings.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
I am wondering if the big fancy RE offices are going away!

Seems to me a smaller office setup with cubbies for the agents to use, while in the office, and some conference rooms would suffice. A small room with a copier and a fax would be helpful.

Seems like the agents that take mostly listings prefer more office space than those that usually work with buyers.

Things are changing...

Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I am wondering if the big fancy RE offices are going away!

Seems to me a smaller office setup with cubbies for the agents to use, while in the office, and some conference rooms would suffice. A small room with a copier and a fax would be helpful.

Seems like the agents that take mostly listings prefer more office space than those that usually work with buyers.

Things are changing...
Vicki,
I dropped my office space to work from home, and I go to the office to meet people who prefer that meeting space.
We have the transient computer/work stations, equipment, and copiers, etc.
I wish we had small personal lockers, so if I cared to, I could leave a few things, or stash a laptop if I am meeting someone for lunch.

But, I am wondering about the efficiency of the huge office complexes, and the long-term viability and necessity, too.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Well, I guess I fall into the "Bricks and Mortar" group.

Signed a Letter of Intent on an office space today.
Retail. Visible. Accessible. Public.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Sold and Bought

I never set foot inside either real-estate agent's office.
The gods invented PDFs for a reason.
I love the all-electric process.
Still pisssed that the title company made me show up in person and sign docs.
P.S. I am an old fart at 64.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Set aside laws requiring a physical address in some states.
And this isn't about brokers and licensed agents who don't care about whether their brokerage has an office.

Home buyers and sellers:
Do you prefer that your real estate broker maintain a brick and mortar office, for meeting you?
When I use one, only those with a real office. Maybe old fashioned but it speaks to stability. It says you are invested in the community and those you represent and so business with. It isn't about the money you spend because some brokers drive around in some very expensive cars.

To me, a brick and mortar says you are more than the next freeway exit out of town. You are going to have my address so why can't I have yours too and that shouldn't be a chair in a cafe, unless you own the cafe.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
An office is the last thing I care about. Here is what I want in a brokerage and the agent dealing with me:

1. Honesty.
2. If I have signed a buyer's agent agreement, adherence to that agreement.
3. Excellent knowledge of the listings I am being shown, including specific details such as property lines, type of heating system, etc.
4. An understanding of the kinds of properties that would suit my needs.
5. A clear understanding of my price range.
6. An understanding that if I make a solid all-cash offer on a home, I shouldn't have to wait four days for a counter.
7. Ability to assist positively with the negotiations so that buyer and seller come to a fair price.
8. Knowing to stay out of the way and not muck things up when the lawyers are trying to negotiate the last details of a contract.
9. Someone who is more interested in my housing needs over their commission, or at least understands how the two are connected. (Please try to contain your laughter.)

If anyone ever runs across an individual like this, please let me know. It would be a first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate