Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So I take you aren't using a realtor to help you buy your house? Why not?
RIght now Im browsing with a couple of different realtors. Why are you assuming I'm not? I'm trying to find the best deal in this economy so I'm not going to stick to one agent and bid as low as I want. The worst that can happen is they say no. Some of these houses need a lot of work inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
RIght now Im browsing with a couple of different realtors. Why are you assuming I'm not? I'm trying to find the best deal in this economy so I'm not going to stick to one agent and bid as low as I want. The worst that can happen is they say no. Some of these houses need a lot of work inside.
I assume you are not because the questions you are asking would be taken care of by an agent. An agent will help you determine the market value of a house.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Not likely at all. Why are you even looking at homes in that price range?
Because they are in not so desirable areas and a lot of these houses have been on the market 6months or more.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
And I will counter your offer with my own!

50 BAZILLION DOLLARS!!!
sounds good to me!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
An agent will help you determine the market value of a house.
Just because your house is priced at "market value" doesn't mean you will find a buyer. The house could sit on the market for years. Point is, you never know your seller's motivation.

They may need the money next month or they will go bankrupt, even the realtor wouldn't know personal problems of a seller. In this economy, any offer should be entertained.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Just because your house is priced at "market value" doesn't mean you will find a buyer. The house could sit on the market for years. Point is, you never know your seller's motivation.

They may need the money next month or they will go bankrupt, even the realtor wouldn't know personal problems of a seller. In this economy, any offer should be entertained.
The OP hasn't even attempted to figure out what the house is worth. Regardless of how much someone is going to offer they should at least do some basic research. Hell, maybe the house isn't even worth the lowball offer.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
"Market value" by definition indicates that there is a Buyer. "Market Value" is determined by what a Buyer are willing to invest in the property.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Quote:
If your going to send a low ball offer, send a letter to the seller telling them you sent in an offer for $$$ through xxxx realty office and explain your offer. You can get the mailing address for the seller at the town hall.

Many times a real estate agent will just lie and say the offer was rejected and the seller never gets to see the offer. No one would know there was a valid offer or if it was actually rejected. Yes, the world is unfair.

The seller may want a quick sale, so you may get lucky.
Honestly I was skeptical see never made the bid due to the quick reply

Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:

Ditto MikeJ on this. Market value is by definition the price at which point the "average" buyer is willing to pay for the property. If the property isn't selling for years, then it means that it isn't at market value by definition. (Luxury properties excluded as they can have a several year sell time which is normal).

I also disagree that we agents don't know the personal problems of our seller clients. We DO know that which is why we have fiduciary duties to them to keep it confidential. We'd better know if our client is heading to bankruptcy as that impacts the sale of a property.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I also disagree that we agents don't know the personal problems of our seller clients.
Sure. Because sellers never lie. LOL. Buyers lie, sellers lie, realtors lie, if you dont think they do, your fooling yourself.

PS. I just used heading to bankruptcy if they dont sell, as one example of a long list of things you may not know about your seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate