Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Sorry for the confusion..as my thread was specifically about kitchen cabinets...I assumed that was what was being referenced. Overall budget is $15k including appliances. After much research..we will probably be under budget. We don't close until Dec. 30 but I will update with pics when all is said and done.

PJ Mamma, I hope you were knocking on wood as you typed that!

I think the "standard" in home reno is to take all your best estimates, then plan on ~15% overrun. Anything at or under 15% is considered "on budget", especially once you start bringing contractors on board.

If you really do come in under 15K, be sure to put the surplus in a house-hold rainy-day fund. The House Gods won't let you get away with that kind of luck for long.

Good luck and best wishes with the closing and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

PJ Mamma, I hope you were knocking on wood as you typed that!

I think the "standard" in home reno is to take all your best estimates, then plan on ~15% overrun. Anything at or under 15% is considered "on budget", especially once you start bringing contractors on board.

If you really do come in under 15K, be sure to put the surplus in a house-hold rainy-day fund. The House Gods won't let you get away with that kind of luck for long.

Good luck and best wishes with the closing and stuff.
lol..I'm sure there will be a surprise expense or two but I factored that in already. I will post a breakdown of my expenses when done..as well as post a pic. Thanks for the well wishes..as this is a foreclosure..it's a big PITA. I am excited though and ready to start the reno...it's going to be a loooong month.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
My experience has taught me to double the time and double the price of what you think it will take. I hope it works out better for you! And it is a PITA, we lived in the house through the last renovation.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM

135 posts, read 342,055 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying..however the market is different here due to supply and demand. We are buying a foreclosure in an upscale neighborhood. We are paying $140k less than the next listed house. Had this house been given better quality builing materials..like cabinets and flooring.. minus the yellow and orange spongepaint on most of the walls, it would have been listed for the same. Or more. There is a big difference between particle board (what's there now) and super high end. The right cabinets for this house/neighborhood lies somewhere in between. We are confident that with a decent reno..we will have a much better return overall.

I disagree about Lowe's and Home Depot..I can spend less at a cabinet company here and get a better product. Lowe's was $6k for their cheapest cabs..I'm paying $4300 for Aristokraft w/local co. Not going crazy but chose a nice middle grade cabinet with some features that I will enjoy while we live there. Which could be 2 yrs..or it could be 5.
I agree with you, PM - buyers like me really appreciate a quality kitchen remodel. We know the difference between cheap vs. quality cabinets. I think you're doing the right thing - and you'll get to enjoy the kitchen for a few years, as well.

We spent under $4,000 total on my kitchen (except for the appliances) and it was money well spent. We bought Cardell cabinets in wiley brown maple, including two roll-out shelves for pots, plus granite tile counter tops. The local kitchen shop arranged for the installation at a very good price. Both Home Depot and Lowe's would have cost quite a bit more.

The kitchen looks really, really sharp. No regrets! (OK, maybe we should have gone with slab granite instead of tile, but we were on a strict budget.) Good luck & be sure to post some pics when you're done.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swbell6 View Post
I agree with you, PM - buyers like me really appreciate a quality kitchen remodel. We know the difference between cheap vs. quality cabinets. I think you're doing the right thing - and you'll get to enjoy the kitchen for a few years, as well.

We spent under $4,000 total on my kitchen (except for the appliances) and it was money well spent. We bought Cardell cabinets in wiley brown maple, including two roll-out shelves for pots, plus granite tile counter tops. The local kitchen shop arranged for the installation at a very good price. Both Home Depot and Lowe's would have cost quite a bit more.

The kitchen looks really, really sharp. No regrets! (OK, maybe we should have gone with slab granite instead of tile, but we were on a strict budget.) Good luck & be sure to post some pics when you're done.
Oh no, I have to comment on the granite tile. Buyers who want a quality kitchen remodel don't want granite tile. That just screams, "We couldn't afford granite, so we cheaped out and went with tile". I would've gone with less expensive cabinets topped with a granite slab counter. When a buyer walks in a kitchen, they can't tell the quality of the cabinetry without a closer inspection, but they CAN see and fall in love with a gleaming granite countertop! I think they would give up the roll-out shelves for granite any day, based on my endless hours of House Hunter episodes.

PajamaMama, I didn't realize that Lowe's has some stores that don't carry a full inventory of their products. I found out when I went to their Wilmington DE store so I could buy my window blinds tax-free. Only to find out, that store is only a "mini-store". Well, heck! I thought all Lowe's were the same. If I had known that, I wouldn't have made the trip. But yeah, OAK....ugh! So 80's!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbell6 View Post

Thanks sw! I just think with a little patience and research a reno can be done without sacrificing quality or the checkbook. I have in writing the really bigger ticket items like the following...

Aristokraft cabinets maple w/cocoa glaze *all pull outs*...$5200
Granite slab including island (stained in java glaze)...$2100
SS appliances..*stove has a griddle * $1300 (lowes was having a sale)

So wild cards are....
Lighting...$400
Old floor removal...$500
Flooring...$1000
Faucet/new garbage disposal...$300

If any of those small things go above budget..it won't be to painful and still I think under $15k.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
PajamaMama, I didn't realize that Lowe's has some stores that don't carry a full inventory of their products. I found out when I went to their Wilmington DE store so I could buy my window blinds tax-free. Only to find out, that store is only a "mini-store". Well, heck! I thought all Lowe's were the same. If I had known that, I wouldn't have made the trip. But yeah, OAK....ugh! So 80's!
Lol..I had no idea Lowe's weren't all the same either. It seems the local one here is a mini store as well.

I was looking at color/door samples w/a kitchen designer at one of the local companies. When I got to the light oak door..I said I'm so not a fan of this..it's so 80's..ugh! She said..well..that's what I have in my house. Umm remove foot from mouth.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks sw! I just think with a little patience and research a reno can be done without sacrificing quality or the checkbook. I have in writing the really bigger ticket items like the following...

Aristokraft cabinets maple w/cocoa glaze *all pull outs*...$5200
Granite slab including island (stained in java glaze)...$2100
SS appliances..*stove has a griddle * $1300 (lowes was having a sale)

So wild cards are....
Lighting...$400
Old floor removal...$500
Flooring...$1000
Faucet/new garbage disposal...$300

If any of those small things go above budget..it won't be to painful and still I think under $15k.
Wow, as I recall, you had a lot of counter space, but you're still getting all that granite for $2100? Good price! What color?

The price for the SS appliances is also very low. What were they, giving them away at Lowe's? LOL! Geez, I spent almost $1300 just for the fridge. Does that include a d/w, microwave, hood, stove AND fridge?

If you're doing recessed lighting, my quote was about $1000 (w/labor). I went without it and now I wish I had it.

Oooh ooh, did you remember under-cabinet lighting? This is a MUST-HAVE for me. I got thin high-grade fluorescent bulbs that are hidden by a light rail; they're not too expensive and they're cool to the touch. You may not feel it's worth the expense.

I think my thick high-end Imported Italian tile cost $700, so maybe you could get away for less than $1k. I didn't want expensive Italian tile but felt that it would be able with withstand the clawing of two little dogs scrambling to get outside.

Sinks and faucets are ex*pen*sive. You've gotta get under undermount or it's gonna look cheap. With stainless steel, get a high quality gauge (lower is better). And good Insinkerators are a few hundred too, I think. Faucents are a couple hundred dollars too!

So here's where we see where labor is going to be the big savings here. you're lucky!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Lol..I had no idea Lowe's weren't all the same either. It seems the local one here is a mini store as well.

I was looking at color/door samples w/a kitchen designer at one of the local companies. When I got to the light oak door..I said I'm so not a fan of this..it's so 80's..ugh! She said..well..that's what I have in my house. Umm remove foot from mouth.
Oh, honey, I've done the same thing so many times. My cousins has PINE cabinests, trim and beadboarding. They don't even make pine (knotty-pine) cabinets anymore, that's how out-of-style they are anymore. When she said they arlready had the wallpaper picked out, I said, "WHY???" (It was a few years ago, before wallpaper starting coming back into vogue.) She said, "We like it.) End of Story. Whatever floats your boat.

Keep us posted, we're living viciously through you, you know! :-)

Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wow, as I recall, you had a lot of counter space, but you're still getting all that granite for $2100? Good price! What color?

It's a local guy and he has great prices. He has several that are $45/sf. There are 3 colors I like but I'm waiting on door samples to come in before I make my final decision.

The price for the SS appliances is also very low. What were they, giving them away at Lowe's? LOL! Geez, I spent almost $1300 just for the fridge. Does that include a d/w, microwave, hood, stove AND fridge?

We already have a fridge so we are getting a gas stove, DW, and over the stove microwave. Lowe's was having a sale..the stove is SS with 4 burners and a griddle in the middle..for $699.

If you're doing recessed lighting, my quote was about $1000 (w/labor). I went without it and now I wish I had it.

There is one recessed light..I'm considering adding a couple when my step dad comes up..he is an electrical engineer. Loooove free labor.

Oooh ooh, did you remember under-cabinet lighting? This is a MUST-HAVE for me. I got thin high-grade fluorescent bulbs that are hidden by a light rail; they're not too expensive and they're cool to the touch. You may not feel it's worth the expense.

Ooooooh no..can you believe out of 3 KD not a one asked me about this? It's ordered with the cabinets right? I'm so glad you mentioned it because I would like to have that.

I think my thick high-end Imported Italian tile cost $700, so maybe you could get away for less than $1k. I didn't want expensive Italian tile but felt that it would be able with withstand the clawing of two little dogs scrambling to get outside.

I over estimated on the floor just in case we have trouble getting up the old tile. I'm hoping to come in waaaay under that.

Sinks and faucets are ex*pen*sive. You've gotta get under undermount or it's gonna look cheap. With stainless steel, get a high quality gauge (lower is better). And good Insinkerators are a few hundred too, I think. Faucents are a couple hundred dollars too!

Another good deal..the granite guy includes an undermount sink. Will have the expense of faucet and disposal. No labor as hubby is handy..thank goodness.

So here's where we see where labor is going to be the big savings here. you're lucky!
Hubby probably would disagree with you..it's called sweat equity. Hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate