Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

Rather than asking them to fix things, get estimates and ask for the money in escrow. Then YOU can assure yourself od the fixes being done properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 02:47 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
I agree with Chet on pretty much his whole post.
6'10 ceilings would be a deal breaker for me, but I guess not for you.

maybe my market is unique, but 100% of homes that are not literally brand new ( and there are very few of those) is sold with many code violations.
1, codes change on a yearly if not more frequent basis.
2, inspectors and builders miss code issues on a daily basis
3, some people intentionally violate code in order to do what they want b/c it may be a better, more practical install and code didn't allow for it.

I don't have an outlet on my peninsela, its a code violation. I like it that way. in my old house my dishwasher was installed in a non-code approved manor, mainly b/c we put it on a diff wall from the sink with 3 cabinets in between, we installed it on a trap in the basement, not code approved, but beat snaking a 10ft drain hose through 3 cabinets turning a corner.

I guess my point is, code violations are a fact of life. fight for the ones you want to, but really, you didn't see the glass block?

did you not know where the furnace is? what specifically is the code violation? in my area boilers are in closets all the time. I'm sure there is a way to make it more safe if there is a violation.

I would be most troubled by the apparent leak in the bathroom, it can cause a lot of damage and be expensive to put back all the demo needed to access the pipes.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
Part of this depends on the value of the property vs what you are paying. If you were to make all the needed repairs is it still a good deal after you put money into it? The glass block windows and needing the furnace moved decreases the value, so is it priced accordingly?
The question you could ask as well, what would the property be worth if all those issues with it were repaired or made to be legal. The price you may be paying may be low enough already to take it on as is, even the rusty furnace and rotted floor. If it isn't the offer is too high or they should fix the problems. I would go for a lower price, and make the changes yourself, a seller will try to do repairs as cheap as possible.

If I understand you correctly, the average price is about $250 per foot and you would be paying about $136. That seems to indicate you could make repairs and not end up losing money. However I don't know all the issues involved so only those near this deal will know for sure.

The building code violations are only a problem if the city has flagged them already and expect the owner to make the fixes. You become the owner, you become the one that is expected to fix it. It only becomes a "violation" when the city finds it and says it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate