Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times

Advertisements

It has always astounded me how casually people deal with the biggest investment they will ever make. BTW, there is no "i" in realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:58 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
It has always astounded me how casually people deal with the biggest investment they will ever make. BTW, there is no "i" in realtor.
Funny, the very first real estate course I ever took 30 years ago, was taught by a very funny and entertaining instructor. When we walked into class, the word REALITOR was posted on the board in huge letters with the letter I circled in red. He promptly informed us that there was no I in realtor, and anyone ever saying it that way or writing it that way, would automatically fail his class.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:41 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Another thing I could do is just keep changing realitors every 6 months until one of them can sell it
You could...but the best agent in the world can't sell an overpriced house. There's some professional advice for you.

As a side, why are you on harping on Realtors and then wanting them to tell you for free what they spent time and money learning? To steal Bill's line from another thread, when you were learning to fly did you teach yourself or hire a professional to instruct you?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You could...but the best agent in the world can't sell an overpriced house. There's some professional advice for you.

As a side, why are you on harping on Realtors and then wanting them to tell you for free what they spent time and money learning? To steal Bill's line from another thread, when you were learning to fly did you teach yourself or hire a professional to instruct you?
Well if they want to earn their money then it needs to be a mutually benificial deal. Why should he make money while I loose money, that does not sound like a professional buisness transaction to me. I would say realtors should be taking a 1% cut if that is what is nessicary in this market.

Its like they try to "teach" everyone else the reality while their bill rates are still pre 2008, thats why you see more FSBO, part of the reason the house might be priced too high is because of the high commissions. Its like they have not caught on that everyone elses wages are deflating why do they think they are special.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:31 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
There are fewer FSBO's in a buyers market because it's more difficult and the owner is more likely to need help. You say agents should take a hit, I say agents are taking a hit. It's a percentage hit. If home prices drop 25%, the agents earnings drop 25%.

Agents are a service industry like lawyers, doctors, etc. Some don't need the service, some need it and pay for it, some need it and can't pay for it. There are other options and many different business models for people to choose from, including representing yourself.

If you don't get the basic precept that an overpriced house isn't going to sell then nobody here can help you with any amount of "free" advice. Instead of poking at agents with a sharpened stick maybe you should be researching your options.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:

Its like they try to "teach" everyone else the reality while their bill rates are still pre 2008, thats why you see more FSBO, part of the reason the house might be priced too high is because of the high commissions. Its like they have not caught on that everyone elses wages are deflating why do they think they are special.
We're going to close business this year with one less transaction than we did in 2006. It's been our best year since then.

Dollar volume in 2006: Just slightly more than $6,000,000 in homes sold.
Dollar Volume in 2011: Just slightly more than $3,000,000 in homes sold

Have YOU taken a 50% cut in wages? I've discounted my commission a few times this year to help the seller out too, but not up front.

What's a FSBO? I haven't seen one around here for 3 years.

I think I'm special because I've survived the worst housing market in recorded times and managed to take market share away from my competition. May I suggest it's because I know what I'm doing?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Well if they want to earn their money then it needs to be a mutually benificial deal. Why should he make money while I loose money, that does not sound like a professional buisness transaction to me. I would say realtors should be taking a 1% cut if that is what is nessicary in this market.

I am a firm believer that not everybody is cut out to be a home owner. I also believe that you are one of those people. Not only do you not have a clue as to how real estate works, you refuse to listen to those who are highly qualified to give you advise.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I am a firm believer that not everybody is cut out to be a home owner. I also believe that you are one of those people. Not only do you not have a clue as to how real estate works, you refuse to listen to those who are highly qualified to give you advise.
I agree, but no real advice has been given on here. I have taken my search to google and will look for text book ISBN numbers etc. This is strictly entertainment now becuase the real meat info has not been shared. Telling someone to write a check that represents a significant percentage of their annual income in a state that does not allow deficiancy judgement is non professional advice.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
I agree, but no real advice has been given on here. I have taken my search to google and will look for text book ISBN numbers etc. This is strictly entertainment now becuase the real meat info has not been shared. Telling someone to write a check that represents a significant percentage of their annual income in a state that does not allow deficiancy judgement is non professional advice.
Advice HAS been given. It's just not what you wanted to hear. There is no magic bullet, there is no secret to getting it done cheaply, there is no shortcut that will let you sell your property for more than it's worth. Statistically, the way to get the most money for your property is to have a professional sell it for you. You can do it yourself, and attempt to "save" the commission. As to the legalities & paperwork, that's going to be specific to YOUR state & municipality, and should be fairly easy to find if you go to the municipal offices & ask, or hire a local real estate attorney. No one told you to write a check. That was merely presented to you as one possibility. I happen to agree with you regarding the folly of allowing a bank to sue you for the difference after they foreclose and take possession of the house, but that's not something any of us have the ability to change. I tend to deal with WHAT IS, and not offer up advice based on WHAT WE WISH.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Advice HAS been given. It's just not what you wanted to hear. There is no magic bullet, there is no secret to getting it done cheaply, there is no shortcut that will let you sell your property for more than it's worth. Statistically, the way to get the most money for your property is to have a professional sell it for you. You can do it yourself, and attempt to "save" the commission. As to the legalities & paperwork, that's going to be specific to YOUR state & municipality, and should be fairly easy to find if you go to the municipal offices & ask, or hire a local real estate attorney. No one told you to write a check. That was merely presented to you as one possibility. I happen to agree with you regarding the folly of allowing a bank to sue you for the difference after they foreclose and take possession of the house, but that's not something any of us have the ability to change. I tend to deal with WHAT IS, and not offer up advice based on WHAT WE WISH.
I just hope I can sell it before the contract expires, if I jump around to enough realitors each with a 6 month contract hopefully in that time the market will change just due to the nature of the lenght of each contract. I mean 2 realitors would be 1 year, 4 would be 2 years and the market can change quite a bit in that amount of time so one of them should be able to get it done at some point.

Maybe that is my best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate