Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 17 days ago)

43,161 posts, read 76,761,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Some people are totally fine on their own. It really is a matter of personality, skill, and desire.
And accessibility.
Many buyers cannot get to the site on a regular basis. I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM

15,529 posts, read 40,285,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And accessibility.

Using a buyer agent is buying back your time. Just like people that do their own taxes rather than hire a CPA.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,044,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And accessibility.
Why would you go to the site on a regular basis? (I'm asking so the OP gets a better understanding of what an agent does on a new construction purchase).

Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Why would you go to the site on a regular basis? (I'm asking so the OP gets a better understanding of what an agent does on a new construction purchase).
I have shot as many as 600 photos of a home under construction and uploaded to Flickr for the client to view.
It is great for them if they are out of state, or out of the country, or just don't have time and availability.
It is tough for many people to sign papers and not see the project at all until a walkthrough.

I try to get to new construction at least twice a week, and more often during phases that I find personally interesting.
And a good builder appreciates the interest. It helps with dialogue through the process.
A builder who doesn't want me or the client on the jobsite is waving a red flag.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:40 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,638,084 times
If I am not able to visit/inspect my new home being built, then I do want someone representing me on site. Now all we have to do is agree to ones qualifications and charge. No way it will be close to 3% of the purchase price and a "qualified/certified" home inspector would be of more interest to me than a "basic" real estate agent.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
If I am not able to visit/inspect my new home being built, then I do want someone representing me on site. Now all we have to do is agree to ones qualifications and charge. No way it will be close to 3% of the purchase price and a "qualified/certified" home inspector would be of more interest to me than a "basic" real estate agent.
Of course, any consumer should interview the agent to ascertain if the agent is qualified to do any job.
And no one is saying that an agent gets 3% for popping in and getting a Sprite out of the on-site agent's cooler.

Why would you pay a home inspector to take photos of the tile and grout in the master bath? He won't care about the color.
Why would you pay him for another trip to take photos of the can light locations in the family room.
Or the paint color in the bonus room?
Or the location of the sheet rock stock in the attic?
Or the landscaping placement, and the sizes of shrubs?
Or the fresh laid sod.
Many etceteras.

A Home Inspector's $100-$150 trips times about 35-50 would be unnecessary for most consumers. But, I do believe in Americans' right to spend their money how they see fit.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:55 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,044,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
You are assuming that without an agent you are going to get the house for 3% less. How will you know that?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,681,587 times
My son built a house in another state. His agent went with the inspector he hired, at certain intervals (framing, plumbing, wiring, sheetrock, etc.) and verbally heard what the inspector's written report would be. She told my son via email and sent him photos of each stage. He still got the written report later. My son liked the service his buyer's agent provided.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,972,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You are assuming that without an agent you are going to get the house for 3% less. How will you know that?
Builder typically will make many different types of concessions to get a sale, but purchase price isn't usually one of them. They need the records to show the list price or higher, otherwise every new buyer will ask for the reduced price. That's how it goes here anyway.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,638,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Builder typically will make many different types of concessions to get a sale, but purchase price isn't usually one of them. They need the records to show the list price or higher, otherwise every new buyer will ask for the reduced price. That's how it goes here anyway.
My last two homes were new builds purchased from the builder. They would not waiver on their list price but we did some wheeling and dealing on on options like screen porch, hardwood floors, extra lighting, cabinetry, carpeting, tiling, painting, upraded appliances (they cost me less then if I had purchased them myself), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate