Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:19 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times

Advertisements

I do agree that buyers, out of consideration, shouldn't be making appointments to see a home unless they think there is a reasonable chance they will make an offer. If they aren't sure they even want to live in your neighborhood, or if your home is way out of their price range, why waste your time and their own time? But whose to say that they won't see your home and fall in love with it? Or perhaps visit other homes after yours and decide yours was the best? Best of luck to you; my friend just went through this and it was so frustrating for her and her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times
When i sold my property in Boston the couple came 6 (yes SIX) times to look at the place. It was a real PAIN to arrange for that but they bought the place so it was worth it.

There was another "looker" that was a REAL waste of my time. After the appointment she said she didn't wan't the condo because it didn't have parking. Well, could she just READ the listing and see that there was no parking before making an appointment??

Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
Yes, Isn't selling a home fun!!! We are not looking forward to it next year.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 AM

345 posts, read 1,578,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Did the agent come with a prequalified letter from the lender?

my agent said that the "other" realtor was doing the paperwork that morning....

Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM

345 posts, read 1,578,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
When i sold my property in Boston the couple came 6 (yes SIX) times to look at the place. It was a real PAIN to arrange for that but they bought the place so it was worth it.

There was another "looker" that was a REAL waste of my time. After the appointment she said she didn't wan't the condo because it didn't have parking. Well, could she just READ the listing and see that there was no parking before making an appointment??

exactlly!!! this is what gets me going!!!1 another instance, well they want a colonial..... well, mine is a raised ranch...didn't you know that before you came here?? didn't you look at the listing sheet??

do people just "follow" their realtors around willy nilly without knowing what houses they are looking at?? did they not know the house they are looking at is 77,000 more than they can afford???

Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 PM

16 posts, read 60,288 times
Angry Offer

I got a ridiculous offer on my house yesterday and I am at a nearly non-negotiable price. The house has been on the market for 4 months and the current price is 4% less than the original listing price.

The prospective buyer visited at an open house that my real estate agent held in June and fell in love. She's been calling my realtor regularly and saying "Don't sell 'my' house to somebody else!!" - she even has a picture of the house on her refrigerator, which is just a wee bit creepy if you ask me, but I digress.

My house has been seeing a pretty steady flow of foot-traffic, and I have been getting consistently good feedback - People love the house. The only problem? The house is on a slope. I am in southeastern Virginia, where it hardly ever snows/ices, but people see that hill and get spooked. It's got a wonderful, full, unfinished walk-out basement with roughed-in plumbing, which it WOULDNT have if it wasn't on a hill - the vast majority (95%+) of houses around here don't have basements.

The house is now priced at about $14K higher than these people can pre-approve for. I'm willing to give up about half of that amount but they won't come up at all.

My realtor is acting all pissed off at me because I'm not taking the deal. She says that the hill is spooking away anybody who can afford it; the only people who are willing to overlook the hill are the ones who can't afford it; people who CAN afford it have a lot of other choices so they can "pass" on my house if they don't like the hill. She hasn't said so in 'as many words' but she's acting as if I should be grateful for this deal even though my bottom line is about $7K higher than these people want to pay.

She asked me if we could do a dual representation deal because she originally showed the house to these people. It means she represents both me (as the selling agent) and them (as the buying agent). I asked her if I did that, would she be willing to give up some commission to make the $ amount work.

Has anybody ever tried that tactic with an agent and has it worked?

Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 PM

72,412 posts, read 18,199,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoffive View Post
my agent said that the "other" realtor was doing the paperwork that morning....
Make sure there is a letter,otherwise it's wasting your time

Old 08-29-2007, 01:07 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Make sure there is a letter,otherwise it's wasting your time

Absolutely!! You know so many people jumped on the real estate band wagon a few years ago..thinking it was the road paved of gold...a lot of ding bats out there that do not have a clue as to what they are doing...

I would tell my realtor unless buyer has a pre qualified letter in hand ..don't schedule an appointment...case closed..

Old 08-29-2007, 01:12 PM

72,412 posts, read 18,199,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Absolutely!! You know so many people jumped on the real estate band wagon a few years ago..thinking it was the road paved of gold...a lot of ding bats out there that do not have a clue as to what they are doing...

I would tell my realtor unless buyer has a pre qualified letter in hand ..don't schedule an appointment...case closed..
Excellent! there you go
Even when the market was gold,I asked for one all the time.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:14 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
Default take the offer.....

Really, theres not much you can do. The people that bought our house
in April this yr came 4 times or more. Then offered us a lowball, we met
in the middle and called it good. Got to hand it to them though, back
in April doing that. I am SO glad we dealt with them,as now, homes
in that neighborhood fell even more and are just sitting there. Whew, is
all I can say. NOW, we are renting and looking to upgrade,so I guess
its our turn to be looky loos, and lowballers. Yup Times are tough,and
thats just the way it is. I say, deal with it.

Greenchili
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate