Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 12,296 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a first time poster, long time reader. My wife and I (both in our early 30s) are going to be building a new home in South Florida and the builder has given us an upgrade packet for the home we are considering. The standard windows that come with the house are Double-Pane Insulated Windows, they have an upgrade to go to Impact Rated windows for $16,900. The house is right around 3000sq/ft (2 story) and I am wondering if this is an upgrade that is worth the money or if I should just stick with the standard window and shutters they provide?

I have read that cracking has been a problem for some people and that any damage to the window means the entire window has to be taken out to replaced instead of changing one of the panes out. However, on the other side it also means additional security against B/Es, better efficiency possibly, and UV protection. Out of all the upgrades this is the one that is the biggest hit on our budget. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
check with your insurance carrier.
iirc some of these "impact resistant" windows are comparable to hurricane shutters.

hth

Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 12,296 times
They said that there was not extra savings for the Impact vs Shuttered Windows

Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home1023 View Post
Hello,

I am a first time poster, long time reader. My wife and I (both in our early 30s) are going to be building a new home in South Florida and the builder has given us an upgrade packet for the home we are considering. The standard windows that come with the house are Double-Pane Insulated Windows, they have an upgrade to go to Impact Rated windows for $16,900. The house is right around 3000sq/ft (2 story) and I am wondering if this is an upgrade that is worth the money or if I should just stick with the standard window and shutters they provide?

I have read that cracking has been a problem for some people and that any damage to the window means the entire window has to be taken out to replaced instead of changing one of the panes out. However, on the other side it also means additional security against B/Es, better efficiency possibly, and UV protection. Out of all the upgrades this is the one that is the biggest hit on our budget. Thanks for any advice in advance.

LOL if someone wants to get in your house they will find a way.

Pull a sheet of soffit down and climb through your attic. Remove some siding or brick and walk through the wall. Pick a lock or remove a door along with its frame, etc.

Lots of ways to get in if wanted to.

busta

Old 12-14-2011, 02:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Are these windows rated better for hurricanes? If so, go for it. If not, no. (lived in New Orleans most of my life)

Old 12-14-2011, 10:35 PM

9 posts, read 29,454 times
As MrRational suggested, check with your insurance company to see how much of a discount you would get if any, versus shutters. You didn't say what the cost of the Double-Pane insulated windows cost, so it is difficult to determine how much more these cost. Check the cost of the same upgraded windows and installation from dedicated window installers. I wouldn't tell your builder you are checking this, as they will be miffed.

You need to find out how much you will save over a certain number of years in insurance discounts for those windows. Strong shutters seem like a more cost effective method. Up here in New York, for example, I once took estimates for replacing 4 windows and a big time contractor came in with a big presentation and quoted $1500 to $2000 for each window, explaining the difference in quality. A friend of mine who is a landlord referred me to someone who put the windows in for $150 each including the cost of the windows. The quality of the window is good and I haven't had any problems since. Even if I have to replace them every 10 years, I'm still way ahead.

I have found that upgrades is where contractors overprice the most. That is where they make their gravy.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home1023 View Post
Hello,

The Dade Co. standards for impact resistant windows and glass doors are indeed the gold standard for the country. With a quality window manufacturer these will be warranteed against manufacture defaults such as cracking. If you can afford it do it. It is real value in hurricane prone areas. If you cannot afford it and are considering them for security rather than storm damage consider only doing the first floor with them. 3M also makes an aftermarket film which can be applied to windows (though it may void your warranty) which will also aid in adding impact resistance. So, this may be another means not as hard on your budget.

If you choose not to go with the impact resistant be certain to get hurricane shutters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate