Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times

Advertisements

Just to make sure I understand you wanted the seller to pay for $3000 of your closing cost and that was it. Then your agent didn't ask for any closing costs in your offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM

25 posts, read 97,508 times
Yes, that's correct.

I spoke with her about it last night, and she is going to rebate 1% of the sales price, which amounts to $1700. Not ideal, but it is what it is. I won't use her again, nor will I recommend her. Expensive lesson to learn!

Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Your contract probably has a financing contingency. If you can't get approved for a loan without the seller's $3K contribution, you'll need to get proof of this from your LO and then go back to the seller. Tell them they need to either renegotiate or lose you as a buyer.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, it's stressful enough without an error of this degree. I agree completely with this response. If the pre-approval letter clearly states that you need $3k seller assistance and you're not getting it, then your LO may not consider you approved for this loan. If that's the case, then you'll need to have your agent notify the seller immediately.

****In Texas we have specific number of days (determined during negotiation) to get financing in order. Check your contract, or with your agent, and make sure you're still within in the allowed time.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:09 AM

835 posts, read 3,978,397 times
[quote=Silverfall;22185660]What are the additional $3,000k on top of traditional closing costs? I'm kind of with Brandon that this sounds dubious to me. Typically you ask for closing costs which includes prepaid property taxes and insurance, lender and escrow fees. What other closing costs do you have that aren't included in that and why do you need to line item it with two different amounts?[/quote

Closing costs do not include prepaids and interim interest. These are prepaying future bills which are part of ownership not financing(obviously except the interest). Closing costs are fees incurred in conjunction with financing. The LO sees the objective view of a clients finances and most likely wanted the funds to cover the prepaids because probably A- client didn't have the funds themselves or B- couldn't spend the funds to meet reserve requirements.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:10 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What are the additional $3,000k on top of traditional closing costs? I'm kind of with Brandon that this sounds dubious to me. Typically you ask for closing costs which includes prepaid property taxes and insurance, lender and escrow fees. What other closing costs do you have that aren't included in that and why do you need to line item it with two different amounts?

Closing costs do not include prepaids and interim interest. These are prepaying future bills which are part of ownership not financing(obviously except the interest). Closing costs are fees incurred in conjunction with financing. The LO sees the objective view of a clients finances and most likely wanted the funds to cover the prepaids because probably A- client didn't have the funds themselves or B- couldn't spend the funds to meet reserve requirements.
In my area, when a buyer asks for closing cost assistance from the seller, it says right in the default wording of the contract that it is for use on "closing costs, lender fees and prepaid costs", so although they are called different things, we include them all into the seller paid buyer's closing costs category.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
[quote=dad2jules;22210153]
Quote:
What are the additional $3,000k on top of traditional closing costs? I'm kind of with Brandon that this sounds dubious to me. Typically you ask for closing costs which includes prepaid property taxes and insurance, lender and escrow fees. What other closing costs do you have that aren't included in that and why do you need to line item it with two different amounts?[/quote

The OP could pay all the closing costs. That was the problem. If the OP couldn't it would be a no brainer to deny financing but the OP clearly stated they could get financing without the closing cost allocation. As such they were going to be out $3,000. Now they are out $1300 which still stinks. I think the agent should have stepped up to plate and corrected her mistake.

In Oregon we include our prepaids and interim in our closing costs and sellers pay them all the time on behalf of buyers. Remember this is a national forum so what you do in your state is likely different than others. East coast and west coast do things very differently.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
In my area, when a buyer asks for closing cost assistance from the seller, it says right in the default wording of the contract that it is for use on "closing costs, lender fees and prepaid costs", so although they are called different things, we include them all into the seller paid buyer's closing costs category.
This is our verbiage too. We all refer to them as closing costs...even Lenders.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
This is our verbiage too. We all refer to them as closing costs...even Lenders.
Ours is pretty vague, says something to the effect of the seller will pay up to and not to exceed X in allowable and non-allowable closing costs.

OP, that's a pretty inexcusable mistake. I'd ask her for the entire 3k.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:00 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Pray that the house doesn't pass inspection or meet the necessary appraisal amount.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-21-2011, 01:09 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Can you amend the contract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate