Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM

18 posts, read 46,643 times

Advertisements

We origanally did For Sale by Owner and paid a flat fee to have house listed on MLS. Decided to go with realtor, decided to go with different realtor - house price has dropped over 40k. Only problem is MLS is showing house on market since last year. I cancelled the listing once we took on a realtor but the numbers didn't change nor when we switched realtors. People now wonder what is wrong with our house that it has not sold. We haven't had one offer this whole time.

We are currently at the point where we will not be making anything on this sale. I just want it sold. We our closing on a house in SC the end of Sept. Really don't want the two mortages but what other options are there?

Is there anway to correct the days on market on MLS?

Any help would be appreciated.
(St. Joseph is already buried by the For Sale Sign)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
I would beg the developer to give me more time. The last thing they want to do is a deal fall through and put the house back on the market.

The other option is to let the house go (and lose your deposit) and try to really focus on selling your home.

This is not the end of the world. If you lose the house, I'm sure you can find another one...stay positive

Old 08-30-2007, 09:03 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky55 View Post
I cancelled the listing once we took on a realtor but the numbers didn't change nor when we switched realtors. People now wonder what is wrong with our house that it has not sold.
Did your realtors explain why the MLS number didn't change? I know of many homes that have new MLS numbers all the time. Also some that state "New this week" although the house is on the market since a year. Why can't it be done to your house?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
The DOM and CDOM (continuous days on market) in our MLS software are tied to the parcel number and the only thing that will alter them is a "sold" status somewhere along the line. Agents have tried everything from deleting the listing to taking it off the market for over a month. I think there is some point in there where if it's off the market long enough that the system will reset. (I'm thinking it has to be 6 months or longer, as I had a listing where the seller waited 3 months after their listing expired with their old realtor before relisting with me - the CDOM still showed the previous list time.) However it's in the automated system, and there's no way for anyone to manually change it (at least not in our MLS).

Sorry, I don't think there's much you can do about the CDOM. In my area, even houses that have been on the market a really long time will sell when the price gets right. I've even seen multiple offers happen when the price got low enough (and that house had been on the market over a year).

So . . . price is king. Make 'em an offer they can't refuse and have your agent call everybody who's looked at your house in the past several months. Plus call other agents and spread the word. It WILL sell! The best to you!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Could it be that some MLS systems are set up to stop the churning of listings? I've seen people who would pull their houses every 90 days and relist them just to be put on the hot sheet and "look" new to the market. I'm sure this got old to some.... I would have your realtor talk to the MLS provider and explain that it was a FSBO and see if they can't be sweet talked into resetting it on a very "hush-hush" basis.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:20 AM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Most MLS here changes to a diffrent MlLS number when a new realtor or if the listing expires,and becomes new again,Did you talk to the agent about that?
I suggest to take it off the market for a month,for you,you can de-stress. for the listing it would look new.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:49 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
in massachusetts a home must be "off market" for over 90 days in order for mls DOM to go back to 0. it's a new feature with our mls system. it shows the true DOM for a listing so unfortunately even though you have changed realtors your home has been on the market for that long.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Even if you are able to get the "days on the market" reset by taking the home off the market for 90 days or so, would you want your home off the market for that period of time? Plus, any agent smarter than a monkey can do a quick search of your address and see how long your home has REALLY been for sale through various MLS numbers and agents.

I'm guessing "days on the market" is not what is hindering the sale of your home.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
in massachusetts a home must be "off market" for over 90 days in order for mls DOM to go back to 0. it's a new feature with our mls system. it shows the true DOM for a listing so unfortunately even though you have changed realtors your home has been on the market for that long.
That's really good! Enough of this fraud.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Most of the MLS systems will list "agent days on market" and "total days on market" -

Years ago, we would play a game - cancel the listing and "re-list" it the next day to "reset" the clock. Most systems do not allow that anymore.

Our MLS (ARMLS) system provides that the property has to be actually "off the market" for at least 90 to "reset" the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate