Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
They don't know the location. They only know they want to move "South." They're looking for specific kinds of property and if a listing interests them, they'd then look into the area itself through CD, etc. and then, if it really interests them, they'd visit. Kind of backwards, I agree, but an interesting way to go about seeking a new place to live.

One thing I did find today is a search through the New York Times that allows you to just pick a state but not a city in particular. Of course these are limited (select, not MLS) listings, but it should give them a flavor of what's available in particular Southern states without punching in a city or town. The "advanced search" option gives a wide range of criteria to check off.

Real Estate - Buy, Sell or Rent a Home - The New York Times
That was my point (and others). They should spend their time figuring out location first. There are nice houses everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Here's how we narrowed our search - and eventually moved it to a specific area. First, I found a realtor in east TN with access to the MLS. I started to search with a few variables. At the same time, I was looking in another state. Same process - pick a realtor with online MLS access. Pull up the maps of the properties - that alone gives you some insight into the areas. Check out info here on CD about the towns you discover, go to the county/town websites. Check out google earth maps.

Check 3, 4, 5 areas in this way. At some point, you are going to get a "feel" for an area you prefer over other areas. We started our retirement home search in upstate NY, the Catskills, moved farther west, didn't find what we wanted, then realized we didn't want the cold, so we started in east TN where I went to college, but we wound up buying in west TN - prices and land availability - flatter vs hilly.

It's a unique way to find a retirement home. I've been criticized for having purchased our house without having seen it in person first. Oh well - the house was not the most important feature of our purchase. FOR US. Retiring folks care about different things than someone setting up a home to raise a family. For us it was affordability first. For us it was the land and privacy. The house is a house. houses can be added on to, remodeled, bulldozed even. It's a freaking structure not a home until I live in it.

So, OP, you're getting advice from a lot of folks who are worried about the schools, whether there are lifelong friends to be made. We already have friends and our family is scattered. We were more concerned with having enough funds leftover to do the things we want to do - go visit family and old friends, take another cruise, go on vacations, have no noisy ghetto neighbors nearby. Those are the things you need to decide - what's really important to you? Is a house to impress yuour new friends what's important? or is it having a little land to hang out on the deck around the pool without neighbors and neighbor kids wanting to intrude?

Good luck to you.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:17 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
For ME.....it would be important to be within a reasonable (2 hr. max) distance to a good size airport. Good health care available close by. That eliminates many places. You may have other perimeters. I truly think you need to decide some general requirements which will either eliminate or zero in on what you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate