Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM

154 posts, read 691,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
Oh, and as for my son's asthma...absolutely, I HAVE to be within 20 minutes drive of a good hospital, if for no other reason than I have a lot of kids who get their various bumps and bruises. My son has situational asthma, more of problem from how he was born (collapsed lungs; the tubing scars the airways sometimes), and it's not allergies that cause it so much as dryness in the air. (Winter indoors is hard on him sometimes and we have to run humidifiers all the time.)
Well -- have a look at this:

MLS 12001635 283 Cresta Way Oakdale, CA 95361 6 bed, 4 bath, 2987 sq ft, $220,000

The hospital is 7 blocks away. I have relatives in Oakdale & they like it a lot -- pretty little town. CA real estate in general is depressed, and in the central valley in particular. Oakdale is nice because you get a little elevation and Yosemite is very close by. Weather is generally dry, but winters aren't cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM

175 posts, read 296,267 times
I have another question after seeing some homes out in the middle of nowhere (literally). What happens if the nearest school is like 10-15 miles (or more) away or you live outside of any school district? What if you buy a property that's not in any school district? Are there still tiny towns with one teacher in a one-room schoolhouse educating whatever children there may happen to be?
I know, odd question, but I can't find an answer to it, and some of the biggest houses are out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post
I have another question after seeing some homes out in the middle of nowhere (literally). What happens if the nearest school is like 10-15 miles (or more) away or you live outside of any school district? What if you buy a property that's not in any school district? Are there still tiny towns with one teacher in a one-room schoolhouse educating whatever children there may happen to be?
I know, odd question, but I can't find an answer to it, and some of the biggest houses are out in the middle of nowhere.
Here if you are outside the school district you wish your children to attend then you are responsible for getting them there. In other words, no school bus. I think people out in the middle of no where often plan on home schooling their kids.

If I might make a suggestion. Why not find out where home prices match what you are trying to buy and check out those areas first, research those so you can eliminate places that will be very similar to Ohio or worse and then concentrate on those that have the features you like and some selection of homes for you. We have relatives trying to leave Ohio so I understand your issue there. The thing is there are so many other areas that have the same issues even if the houses are priced well.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 PM

You know, that was the first thing I tried, the problem was that I would find a nice area, with good prices, and spend all my time looking at that one area, and never find anything the size our family needs. That's when I started realizing I might have to look for the house first.

Good luck to your relatives, too!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 PM

161 posts, read 568,222 times
DANVILLE Real Estate - DANVILLE, PA Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

4 Bedroom Bloomsburg Homes for Sale and Real Estate - Realtor.com®

4 Bedroom Lewisburg Homes for Sale and Real Estate - Realtor.com®

Nice small PA towns, excellent hospitals, good schools, homes with a little charm!

Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Default Lightning can strike?

OK...where to start...you can do everything right, never be late on rent (and actually be early every month), not damage the house, be totally quiet and respectful of your neighbors, take every stupid raise in rent and drop in services, and deal with inept workmen who arrive drunk all the time...

...and still get a 30-day notice.

I know people here are going to want to give me all kinds of advice on how to stick it to my landlord, but really I just want out of here before she wrecks my good credit by filing eviction (cause all she has to do is FILE, not even WIN) so we're just going-in the middle of the school year, in the middle of winter. So, there's no looking for our "forever home" now...I have about 2-3 weeks just to find a new rental and be able to move. I can sue her after I move. This stinks so bad...

So while I'm still able to buy a home, it would have to be super-perfect, cheap, in a great school district, large enough for our family, probably bank-owned and empty so I'm not waiting on someone to move out, and able to close and be occupied by March 1st, meaning I'd realistically have to find it within about a week or so. And heck, we all know that when those houses come on the market, more likely than not someone with cash in hand walks up and buys it that day. *sigh*

Otherwise, we're going to have to rent, which is probably more realistic. But lightning does strike, so until my little tiny window of opportunity expires, I'm still looking!

Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Pediatric Asthma Care - Pediatric Pulmonology - Golisano Children's Hospital - University of Rochester Medical Center

AAIR - Allergy Asthma Immunology of Rochester

Regional Asthma Coalitions Contact Information

Allergy and Asthma Diagnostic Office - Home

Pediatric Pulmonary Center | Upstate Golisano Children\'s Hospital | SUNY Upstate Medical University

Pediatric Services: Allergy/Immunology/Asthma - Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo -- A Kaleida Health Facility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate