Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
That's the second person to ask how they can afford to do what they are doing. It's not the business of anyone here to ask how much money they have. They are looking for a very big house for under $200,000. I think I can understand why they would consider moving to somewhere else. I did a broad sweep of my entire area and came up with only about 13 houses that might fit. There are other places where home prices are higher than here. It really looks to me like they are trying to find a place where they can afford the house they want. What's wrong with that?
What is wrong with that you ask. Well let us start with them saying size and price alone with no real selectivity as to where. That "smells" fishy to me.

Might well be a post to see realtors salivate.....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
That's the second person to ask how they can afford to do what they are doing. It's not the business of anyone here to ask how much money they have. They are looking for a very big house for under $200,000. I think I can understand why they would consider moving to somewhere else. I did a broad sweep of my entire area and came up with only about 13 houses that might fit. There are other places where home prices are higher than here. It really looks to me like they are trying to find a place where they can afford the house they want. What's wrong with that?
Agreed!

I have quite a few friends with non-traditional careers, and they can live anywhere - web entrepreneurs, software developers, and a few musicians. There are many many fields where you're not tied to a particular geographical location - and experts predict that more and more of us will have careers like that in the future. Personally, I once worked for a company where every single employee worked from home - and we were spread all around the globe - and it was a very successful business, and we were all highly paid. It was a great job at the time!

So I can completely understand why someone with a non-traditional career would search for a house in this way - in fact, I know people who have done the exact same thing! If you can take your job with you, then you can go anywhere - and why not explore all the options?

It may sound "fishy" to some here, but it sounds completely normal to me!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 PM

175 posts, read 296,397 times
Did anyone who smells something "fishy" bother to read our lead-in post on a different thread?

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...here-move.html

It's funny that the one poster mentioned to not live in Ohio...THAT'S WHERE WE ARE TRYING TO MOVE FROM!!!!
So if you consider why you would say that, then maybe it doesn't sound so weird that we would seriously consider almost anywhere else.
Ohio is a beautiful state...it's just not for us. Cost of living is not what you think it is here...All the houses are 3br/2bath, priced ridiculously, and taxes are outrageous. Utilities are very high, while services are sporadic, even in the same town. The only large famillies here are the homeschoolers, who think we "sold out" and don't trust us because we don't home school our kids. The smaller families are like some of the posters here, "How can you afford this?" and to be frank, I'm done with trying to explain to people I don't even know what my finances are.

Well, fine, I am insulted enough by anyone claiming I'm being fishy to state this...we do not have cable, cell phones, and pay minimally for wireless internet ($15 with ATT). We buy older vehicles in cash that we save up for while we already have a working vehicle. I budget very well (having been in banking since I was 18, until I was pregnant with #'s 4 and 5-yes, I was a working mom until it no longer made financial sense) and I think after living a decently quiet, low-key lifestyle without all the frills we deserve a decent home. When you don't have many of these bills, a mortgage becomes all the more easier to afford.

And my husband is a minister..it's an old joke that there's "always a need", I was wondering if anyone would catch it (but undertaker came close). He went to college for real estate before going back for religious studies, so yes, I think he could become licensed again anywhere we move anyway.

I am not "trolling" to have real estate agents clamor for my business because while in banking I held a real estate license and if I had to do it myself I would. I also studied real estate and business in college. However I am also not opposed to hiring an agent that would know the local laws more than myself.

Really, people...I am trying to gather not just real estate listings, but the opinions of the people who actually live by them. Like, real people used to do, talk to a neighbor of sorts, an internet neighbor.

Thank you to all those helping us.

Last edited by thebpseven; 01-06-2012 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Oh, and as for my son's asthma...absolutely, I HAVE to be within 20 minutes drive of a good hospital, if for no other reason than I have a lot of kids who get their various bumps and bruises. My son has situational asthma, more of problem from how he was born (collapsed lungs; the tubing scars the airways sometimes), and it's not allergies that cause it so much as dryness in the air. (Winter indoors is hard on him sometimes and we have to run humidifiers all the time.)

Old 01-06-2012, 05:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebpseven View Post

Now without giving out my last name, maiden name, home address, and shoe size, is anyone willing to help me? Yes? No?
I'm confused. Lots of people have tried to help you.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM

It's a joke, manderly...I'm a little put off by the "fishy" comments but the "shoe size" joke was meant to show that I am trying to stay good-natured to everyone who is honestly helping me.

I apologize if I came off as ungrateful or not very nice.

Last edited by thebpseven; 01-06-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,378,530 times
thebpseven, have you considered Southern California? If you do a search on Realtor.com for 5 bedroom houses under $200,000, and within 20 miles of Temecula, I'm finding over a hundred homes that might fit your wish list.

Riverside County is located about an hour inland from the coast, and it was one of the hardest hit areas by the recession - lots of foreclosures and short sales. But Temecula in particular is a still a very desirable community, and there are a lot of churches! I didn't find a single house right in Temecula that would fit your list, but if you are willing to look in the surrounding communities, there are quite a few that might work. Lots of big houses, and kids, and churches, and families - along with bright blue sky, rolling foothills, wine country, and ballooning - that's what Temecula is known for.

Just be aware that the listed price for a short sales is often unrealistically low - they do that to generate offers and interest. So if you find a short sale you love, and the price seems way too low, it just might be.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:01 PM

My husband is very big on going to California, and so is my oldest and one of my sons...some of us are holdouts for seasons but really, with no snow this year, and I can't tolerate cold without snow. This winter has almost been like a tester to see if maybe we could be happy without seasons, and right now only one of my sons is really not willing (his birthday is Christmas Eve, I can't really blame him.)
We have to face that not every one of us is going to be perfectly happy, we have to find somewhere with a good sense of community where all the kids can find friends and that'll make them happier than any particular season would.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Your post made me think of my niece, her husband and their five kids, who found a big house (that needs lots of work, but it is livable) just outside of Scranton, PA. They have a huge yard, woods behind them, and the kids really like their schools. Theirs was a foreclosure that they got for $32K.

Anyway, for the heck of it, I did a search on Scranton, so here's another to add to your list. I did 5BR 3BA $200K.

5 Bedroom Scranton Homes for Sale and Real Estate - Realtor.com®

I must confess I clicked on the post out of curiousity when I saw the term "Forever Home". I thought you were looking for a grave plot!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM

LOL...Grave Plot???? Nah, not that kind of forever...LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate