U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 AM

7,694 posts, read 9,632,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
You should care if the assessor has assessed your house too high because you are paying too much in property taxes. Other than that I don't think I would mess with it.
^^^^^
This.

Otherwise, feel free to ask them to raise your assessment so you can pay more taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,191 times
I intend to have a rental property demo'd. My demo contractor measured the brick exterior and claims the structure is more than 300 square feet larger than the county appraisal. In order to justify the additional cost when relaying the difference to my partners I want to know if its advisable to have the county appraiser re-assess the house, or take the contractor's word for it. He said he measured with a measuring tape.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeebeeeee View Post
I intend to have a rental property demo'd. My demo contractor measured the brick exterior and claims the structure is more than 300 square feet larger than the county appraisal. In order to justify the additional cost when relaying the difference to my partners I want to know if its advisable to have the county appraiser re-assess the house, or take the contractor's word for it. He said he measured with a measuring tape.
If it's going to be torn down, what difference does it make? The only thing left to assess will be the land--so make sure that the Assessor knows when it is torn down so that they can adjust their records.

As for the cost of the demolition, the contractor is going to charge what he is going to charge. Get another quote if you don't like his estimated cost.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 9,027 times
Default Sq. footage is wrong in county Appraisal website, Should I correct it or leave it as it is?

Hi All,

I have bought a house in Austin, Texas last June and recently I got a new appraisal from county and noticed that the sq. footage is less (2800 sq. ft.) compare to what I bought original (3200 sq. ft.).

1) Should I go and correct it immediately or leave it as it is?

2) What if I go to county office after 5 years and correct it then? Is there will be a problem at that time?

3) If everything okay when I correct it after 5 years, would I have to pay the difference/prorate for the last 5 years?

FYI - I don't want to/will not sell the house for next 10 years. And I know if I correct it, it will increase the price of my house and I need to pay the taxes approximately $400 every year extra because of the sq. ft. difference.

Need some guidance to see if that will be gonna a problem or I'm just lucky and save the money and correct it when I need to sell my house.

Please help!

Old 05-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Status: "You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts." (set 17 days ago)

21,348 posts, read 11,199,204 times
No one is going back in time to charge you extra taxes.

if your appraisal showed it as 3200 sqft, and there's not a question of some space finished without a permit, then just leave it until you go to sell it.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,027 times
Thanks a lot BiBromhal!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:05 AM

29,019 posts, read 69,209,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Huh? In what way? An appraisal is an appraisal and should NEVER be subjective,

Should
is the key term. Theory always sounds great. Reality is a different matter altogether.

Unless you live in a large homogeneous subdivision with a lot of recent sales of homes nearly identical to yours in every way, the appraisal will be at least somewhat subjective. We live in a totally unique home and our appraisals vary dramatically. Sometimes by as much as $150,000. An now home values did not change at all int he month between the two appraisals.
All appraisals differ and require some subjective judgement, both in determining what is really a "comp" and in making adjustments for differences in homes. since you will want examples, I will give you a few: Our house sits along the waterfront, but we do not have water access - we do nto own the 12' stip of lang along the river across the road from us. To my knowledge, our property and the three empty lots next to us are the only propereties in our community where the waterfront strip was separated from the buildable property. Thus there are no comps for this. the appraiser ad to make a downward adjustment in the value of our house based on their subjective opinion of what the water access is worth. It has varied between $15,000 and $50,000. We have a finished basement that includes two bedrooms, a large bathroom, a game room and a laundry/utility area. the bedrooms are permitted and meet code, but the basement is not walk out, so the house is appraised as four bedrooms when ti really has six and three bathrooms when it really has four. over 1300 s.f. of living space is also not counted in the square footage comparison. So, an appraiser has to subjectively figure out what value to give the finished basement. This has varied from $0 to $65,000. We have a nice pool. Normally, pools add zero value to an appraisal. However our pool is in a segmented greenhouse enclosure where each segment is on wheels and can be rolled aside to create an open/outdoor pool. One appraiser said the pool room counted as living space and added that to the square footage (2400 additional s.f.). All the other appraisers said he was wrong to do that. however some said because it is enclosed the can/should add a subjective amount to the value of the home for the pool, this has varied from 45,000 to $20,000. Others said the pool still counts as zero. we have a sunroof off the kitchen. It is finished, has heat, a couch and other furniture. There is a door between the sunroof and the kitchen. Some appraisers count it in the square footage, some do not. At first they said no because it was not heated, so I installed baseboard heaters. the next guy counted the space, but the one after that said it did not count because there was a door between the kitchen and the sunroom - therefore it was only a porch and had no value. The next time, before the appraiser came out, I pulled the hinge pines and stuck the doors in the garage. Now the sunroom counted in our square footage. the next appraisal I forgot to pull the doors but he counted it anyway. the next guy said it did not count, but he added a subjective amount because it was such a nice space he added half the value as additional square footage would have. Then you get to the front porch. Many appraisers said it had no value, others added a subjective bump. It is a huge wrap around porch about 6 or 8 feet deep and over 60 feet long in total. Then there is the age of our house. The main part was built in 1836, it was doubled in size in 1850 and a third more added in 1868. Then it was substantially modified in 1932 and 1946. We moved it and restored it and built a new kitchen, sunroom and mudroom/bath in 2006-2007. Some appraisers hate old houses and downgrade it as an old fixer upper. Some consider it built in 2007. Some upgrade it for historical charm. Finally you have subjectivity in selecting comps. One appraiser use a house that i considered buying and tearing down to have a nice lot to put our house on. Another used two super high end houses that I would not afford if I doubled my income. He made a slight adjustment in acknowledgement of th fact the other two houses were way nicer. Some use comps in inland neighborhood that sit on 1/3 acre (we are on the water and have .97 acres). One guy used comps in a factory town on the mainland because he said anything within a certain distance is a valid comp. He was unable to find any recent sales in our community except for some multi-million dollar homes on the rich side of the islands. So he used sales of those were houses in a working class town with mediocre schools significant crime, and solid houses factories and commercial buildings. Our community is a group of islands, it is the safest community in the state, has top rated schools hundreds of acres of open space and other community owned amenities. it si nearly night and day, but he used houses that sold for under $80,000 as comps. There are almost no houses in our community that are under $250,000. After I pointed this our that appraiser made a subjective adjustment to the comps.

We have had our house appraised nine times int he past 12 years (long story). After once having back to back appraisals that were wildly different, we learned that if we do nto like the appraisal, we just need to insist on a different appraiser. It is very subjective.

While many thing a about our house are unique and require subjective appraisal, many of the issues or at least types of issues apply to other less unique properties.

Appraisers, bankers, and realtors will fight with you over this until they are blue in the face. They do not want to admit it, but appraisal is an art more than a science.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,568,483 times
The County info COULD be correct. You COULD have two legal bedrooms and one unpermitted bedroom (which would also account for the discrepancy in the square footage).

Old 05-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
[i]
Appraisers, bankers, and realtors will fight with you over this until they are blue in the face. They do not want to admit it, but appraisal is an art more than a science.
I'm not sure that many would really argue about it, but all appraisals are subjective to a degree. The more unique the property, the more variance one can expect from appraisals. All appraisers are not created equal. The only appraisals that usually tend to be more consistent are those done in cookie-cutter subdivisions with multiple recent sales.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 AM

33,662 posts, read 22,413,423 times
Just FYI after reading through I realize the thread is 9 years old, resurrected by someone who didn’t know how to start their own thread. Just cause I see a lot of people responding to OP....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate