Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

It is customary in my state for both the buyer and seller to hire their own attorneys. Fees range $350-500, each. Both attoneys usually show at closing at the title company, as do both real estate agents.

The seller picks the title company and the seller's attorney is usually the party who does the picking. The attorney representing the seller is more often than not, an agent for the title company and rebills the title company for services.

Buyers eventually become sellers and are more likely to use the same attorney they did when they purchased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I can no longer answer for how it is now, but when I was a paralegal, the Buyer's attorney chose the title company depending on where we could get a "start". For those who don't know, a start is the date on which the title company last insured a warranty deed and the title only had to be searched to that point. It saved a ton of time for a title searcher but I often went 50 years beyond that point for my own peace of mind - if it came to a problem, it was my reputation on the line as well as the attorney's. And I cannot tell you the number of times I found problems that were supposed to have been cleared up but were not. It was all in my report and often the title company did nothing; but there was one case that wound up in court to quiet title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate