Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM

8,544 posts, read 14,022,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I'd say it is a fair offer if those #'s are accurate. Any seller that doesn't counter is a fool IMO.
In this market, I find every buyer wants to start off by low balling. I encourage my sellers to counter any and every offer. Sometimes the buyer goes away after that (they were just looking for a deal) and sometimes suddenly they come up a lot (they were actually interested in the house).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
In this market, I find every buyer wants to start off by low balling. I encourage my sellers to counter any and every offer. Sometimes the buyer goes away after that (they were just looking for a deal) and sometimes suddenly they come up a lot (they were actually interested in the house).
Exactly. When I was selling I wouldn't have cared if someone offered me a goat for my house. I would have just countered with a lot more goats.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 PM

8,544 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Exactly. When I was selling I wouldn't have cared if someone offered me a goat for my house. I would have just countered with a lot more goats.
I don't care how many goats you offer. I don't want any goats. I want money!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
My exact words to the listing agent after he said, "she doesn't really need to sell," I said, "in this market, she won't." This particular house has been on the market since August with one reduction (October) to its current price, which is 10% higher than my market analysis shows.
Sorry to bump my own thread, but this deal died over a $5000 (2%) difference and my buyers put another property under contract yesterday. As night follows day, the agent called me and said, "great news, we got a huge price drop on the condo my client is going to buy, so we are now in a position to accept your client's last offer!" My client considered both houses but ultimately chose to stick with the house under contract. That seller may not get another offer for weeks or months and will now continue to accumulate carrying costs, reduce the price and wait. She won the battle by not conceding that last $5000, but lost the war.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
How exactly would they be losing another 5% by making a counteroffer?
Easy, the seller goes back and forth with the lowballer, and the contract is signed at exactly "market value".

Then... the inspection is done...

And the seller gets hit with a list of "deficiencies" longer than their arm, magically ...

when added with a calculator, those defects add up to ...

5% of the homes value.

If we're talking a median-priced home in my neck-o-the-woods, That's a $120k property.

I could find $6k (5%) in "defects" in most $120k properties while driving past them at 40 mph.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Easy, the seller goes back and forth with the lowballer, and the contract is signed at exactly "market value".

Then... the inspection is done...

And the seller gets hit with a list of "deficiencies" longer than their arm, magically ...

when added with a calculator, those defects add up to ...

5% of the homes value.

If we're talking a median-priced home in my neck-o-the-woods, That's a $120k property.

I could find $6k (5%) in "defects" in most $120k properties while driving past them at 40 mph.
So what exactly is your suggestion? Only accept an offer at above market value? Good luck with that.

Last edited by manderly6; 02-02-2012 at 05:38 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 AM

A "buyer" who is 15 percent under list price is hoping to "catch a rainbow".
They could be right about the value, they could be fishing for desperation, but if the seller is priced right, I'd toss an offer like that in the trash without a thought.

Remember, we haven't heard from the seller in this case- no one here has seen these "comps".

As an agent, do you often take listings at "10 percent over market" as the op claimed this listing was?

Not if you want to actually sell those listings.

The best house in the neighborhood could easily be worth 10 percent more than the recent "comps", especially if those "comps" are reo's or short-sales.

There's no need for a seller who knows what they have to waste their time with dreamers

Quote:
So what exactly is your suggestion? Only accept an offer at above market value? Good luck with that.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
A "buyer" who is 15 percent under list price is hoping to "catch a rainbow".
They could be right about the value, they could be fishing for desperation, but if the seller is priced right, I'd toss an offer like that in the trash without a thought.

Remember, we haven't heard from the seller in this case- no one here has seen these "comps".

As an agent, do you often take listings at "10 percent over market" as the op claimed this listing was?

Not if you want to actually sell those listings.

The best house in the neighborhood could easily be worth 10 percent more than the recent "comps", especially if those "comps" are reo's or short-sales.

There's no need for a seller who knows what they have to waste their time with dreamers
So just to be clear, in your reality there are no sellers that overprice their houses?

You didn't happen to just wake up from being in a coma for the last 7 years, did you?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
So just to be clear, in your reality there are no sellers that overprice their houses?

You didn't happen to just wake up from being in a coma for the last 7 years, did you?
I never said anything like that.
Agents make $0 on overpriced listings- they never sell.
Experienced agents won't bother with them.
Just because one person (with an agenda) thinks a home is overpriced, doesn't mean that is the truth.
There are lots of people who watch too many infomercials and think that "shotgunning" gobs of lowball offers will get them "deals"

As a buyer, if a seller is way overpriced, I won't waste my time

Old 02-02-2012, 07:35 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounge View Post
There is this house that is listed 10-15% higher than market value (>500K), based on comparables of over half a dozen similar-sized houses that were sold from the same community within the last 6 months, and over half-dozen similar-sized houses on the market).

We offered 5% below the market value (which means 15% below listing price), and heard back that they decided not to counter.

The house has been on the market for more than 3 months.

Not sure what to make of it.

Move on, no use wasting time on someone who is obviously not interested.

We made a cash offer almost one year ago on a home we were renting. We offered below the market value however, the home needed about $30,000.00 worth of upgrades and repairs. They rejected the offer, countered with their original amount and we told them no thanks.

The home is still for sale and sits empty so they are not even getting rent for the place and they live out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate