Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,558 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have a 2 bedroom, 1 and a half bath home in MD (have had it for about 35 years). My husband and I are retiring and moving out of the area in about a year and a half. This home is in a desirable area (nice neighborhood and walking distance to schools in one of the best public school systems in our state), and my husband is worried that we are going to have difficulty selling the house due to it having only 2 bedrooms. Seems like many people who would be interested in buying a home in this area would have children and need more than two bedrooms.

Does it make any sense to spend 30K on a one bedroom / one full bathroom addition that we personally have no use for in the hopes it will attract more interest and a higher price when we put it on the market? I am inclined to think not, and to reduce the price by that amount if we have trouble selling it. The hubby thinks differently and seems to want to tackle this project. Any advice?

Last edited by sal12345; 01-29-2012 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Ask a good local realtor. They know your market much better than either you or us.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:06 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
We have done it on purpose several times as an investment to make money. If the numbers make sense it can be a very good idea.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
If you do decide to do it, get a reputable contractor who will obtain the necessary permits and inspections. It can be hard to sell a non code building! I don't know here you are but $30K for a master/bath seems kinda low.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ask a good local realtor. They know your market much better than either you or us.
I think talking to a realtor also makes sense. They can show you sales comps in your area for a 3 bedroom, 1 bath home vs a 2 bedroom, 1 bath.

Entry level homes are always desirable for young couples who are just starting out. There is nothing wrong with a 2 bedroom, 1 bath home. Let the buyer decide what and where they can add a room if they want to as their family expands.

I watch a lot of home sale shows on TV. It's pretty consistent that it is not wise to do expensive renovations / remodeling prior to selling. It is most often recommended that you clear out and clean up your home, maybe with paint touch-ups. Some buyers like to purchase a home with the original footprint and add their own ideas, i.e. bedrooms and bathrooms.

I think talking to a realtor is highly recommended before you even think about doing something so costly.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
30K on a bedroom/full bath addition? Is it made out of beer cans?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Many sellers are having a horrific time selling their homes, regardless of the number of bedrooms/baths. As some have pointed out, there are folks looking for both 2 and 3 bedroom homes, particularly if the 2-bdrm. offers a considerable cost savings.

Rather than put $30K into the house on a 'maybe', why not offer the home for sale for $20K less --- keeping $10K in reserve for negotiation? If you can't sell the house as a 2 Bdrm. for $20-$30K less, the problem is likely something other than a 3rd Bdrm.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:03 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I watch a lot of home sale shows on TV. It's pretty consistent that it is not wise to do expensive renovations / remodeling prior to selling.
Renovations & remodeling are an entirely different category from additions. I know people that make their living by buying homes, adding on to them, and then selling for a profit.

A two bedroom home can be a really tough sell (at least in these parts). I know in my area adding a master suite would make it a much easier sell and increase the value substantially. I would definitely talk to a local Realtor to see how much value you'll get in return for your investment. Also, as others have said, $30K seems awfully low for an addition. I would definitely get multiple estimates.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:30 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
I'm going to take a counter point to what many here have posted, based on my own experiences.

The wife and I had a sudden relocation due to employment a few years ago. In a declining market (Detroit metro), we sunk approximately $20k into a house that was already at the top of that zip code in terms of price.

We knew with 100% certainty that we weren't getting that money back, HOWEVER, we sold our house quick, for full price. I don't believe we could have sold that home at all if it hadn't been "perfect". In other words, a $20k "discount" wouldn't have been as persuasive as a "perfect" house.

We re-did landscaping, painted the entire house, re-carpeted the basement, and spent weeks nit-picking EVERY little detail with the house, so there could only be ONE objection from a potential buyer - the price.

Your potential buyers will think up a number much higher than you for repairs or improvements - flippers know this, and that's how they make their money. New countertops & freshly painted cabinets frequently equate (in a buyer's mind) to a "major" improvement.

Definitely talk to an agent and get some "comps" for 2 bed and 3 bed homes, and if the difference is there, I'd say go for it.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Have you priced out additions lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate