Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times

Advertisements

That choice is freely made when you offered for it...
one must always take responsibility for one's action.

If you really don't like the location, why did you even chance that purchase?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 11:13 AM

281 posts, read 713,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
That choice is freely made when you offered for it...
one must always take responsibility for one's action.

If you really don't like the location, why did you even chance that purchase?
Did you actually read any part of this thread or did you just see the word neighbors and write the first thing that came to mind?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM

If you are happy with that choice, why should / would you even "question" that choice in a thread???
I am questioning your "happy & free choice" that you have doubts on.

As far as I know, "emotions" is never key to any good financial, investment, realty (residential / business) decision... while a logical good potential "location" is.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM

It also makes sense...
that if *you* the OP have that "doubts"...
*Your* potential buyer when you were to sell it, will have that same "doubts" (happy, fuzzy "I'm home" feelings or not).

Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM

See next post.

Last edited by Sizzle-Chest; 01-31-2012 at 12:09 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM

Okay, I get what you're saying and I think I see where the confusion is. I have no doubts about buying the house now or concerns about selling it in the future as we plan to live there indefinitely. However, if I we're looking at this as a short term investment or planning to turn around and sell it within the next ten years, I would be more concerned about every aspect of it's value. I did not mean to sound like I was complaining or seeking advice, I was simply curious to hear how others would feel about the situation.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM

8,544 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
Okay, I get what you're saying and I think I see where the confusion is. I have no doubts about buying the house now or concerns about selling it in the future as we plan to live there indefinitely. However, if I we're looking at this as a short term investment or planning to turn around and sell it within the next ten years, I would be more concerned about every aspect of it's value. I did not mean to sound like I was complaining or seeking advice, I was simply curious to hear how others would feel about the situation.
I think the bottom line is that the condition of your neighbor's house would be a turn off for the average buyer. So, this negatively impacts the value of your own home.

The good news is, as others have already said, that it sounds like the local government is doing something about this house and this guy may not be your neighbor soon. If that's the case and someone comes in and spruces up the house (and of course you negotiated wisely for your own house) then you should see a nice increase in the equity of your home when that happens.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM

See... when you have that *if* that *if* = doubts, and thus the questions.

Saying that, long term or short...

That word *neighbors* (if & when you do have one) affects anyone who have them... either in a positive way (when you get along with them or they just don't bother with you etc.) or in a negative way (when you don't; can be through issues like an ugly neighbourhood house, via non-maintenance or hoarding etc.).

Reality check... any unkempt property will & do affect the value of the next door nicely kept ones.

But *if* you are lucky, maybe the owners (new / old) may decide to burn that down & build a new house in place of that... I wouldn't bank on that *if* though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate