Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,223,391 times

Advertisements

I am sure there are stories like this across the country.

Incomplete subdivisions face dangerous conditions

“Communities left incomplete by the housing bust are causing more problems than just empty and overgrown lots, according to homeowners.

Melanie Scott, a homeowner in the Lovejoy Crossing subdivision, said she and her neighbors have had to fight for basic services, including street lights.

"We're left to pay money but we're not getting any services," said homeowner Melanie Scott. "Things are not being done. We don't have a voice."

Scott told Channel 2’s Carl Willis that she is fed up with the management company that took over her homeowners; association once her builder cleared out.

"They're saying they can't turn over the homeowners association because we're not 80 percent full," she said.

It's a growing problem ever since the housing bust.

"We need to either have legislation written where we do away with homeowners associations or we need to be able to police ourselves...”

Full Story: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/incomplete-subdivisions-face-dangerous-conditions/nHbb7/[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

“Communities left incomplete by the housing bust are causing more problems than just empty and overgrown lots, according to homeowners.

Melanie Scott, a homeowner in the Lovejoy Crossing subdivision, said she and her neighbors have had to fight for basic services, including street lights.

"We're left to pay money but we're not getting any services," said homeowner Melanie Scott. "Things are not being done. We don't have a voice."

Scott told Channel 2’s Carl Willis that she is fed up with the management company that took over her homeowners; association once her builder cleared out.

"They're saying they can't turn over the homeowners association because we're not 80 percent full," she said.

"We need to either have legislation written where we do away with homeowners associations or we need to be able to police ourselves...”

Full Story: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/incomplete-subdivisions-face-dangerous-conditions/nHbb7/[/LEFT]

Some years back I bought a new townhouse on a new golf course. Was lovely for a few years until the developer had some adjacent land rezoned from townhomes to high rise plus the golf club never went private. I visited the area some 4 years later. It was not a pretty sight.

The point of my story is when you are among the first buyers you have to ask what are the advantages versus wait a bit until we see what happens to the area.

Pioneers are quite often those with arrows in their backs.

My last two purchases in HOA's, I was about house 400 of 500 and in my recent purchase, I am about house 100 of 120. Both places had been up and running for about 4 years. No surprises in any of them.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

*Sigh*
Really been there, done that...

Anyone looking to get into any HOA attached homes please do yourself a favor... go rent one *first* before any purchase & at least go to the community meeting / social activity.

(believe it or not, those meetings are great b/c you hear first hand the *complains* of what is happening in the community... eg. like who sublet the place & there is a FBI wanted arrests, which teen hang out at the community park & whose son is dealing drugs / some "unwanted" items is found in the neighbourhood, or which house needs more maintenance "mow", "fix shutters", "fix door" etc....)

the dirty laundry list will definitely be an "enlightenment" believe me...

When you live there & you are OK with it... then you will be well fitted for the community.

Also, think of the future even when you home is paid off...
You will always still have that 2nd tax to pay... and it is a "compulsory" thing, remember that.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
P.S. "IF" HOA attached homes *is soooo good*....

Then *WHY* all the complains????
(eg. HOA horror stories googling, this thread & other threads *here* about it, even complains at the HOA community meetings themselves.... etc.)

*WHY* choose to have or add an "outside" set of problems to complain about when the home itself is already a big compliant for the *if* "needs of maintenance" for most homeowners????

Isn't life much simpler & less stressful & less complicated & more maintenance free when you do not have to deal with the problematic "HOA" extras???

Dunno... but will never fall for that HOA sales pitch myself.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Looks like the builder went belly up and the court appointed a trustee who appointed a management company.....

Similar situations with incomplete subdivisions, with/ without HOAs, all over, especially in the so called more affordable range.

Eventually the undeveloped land will be sold. Eventually is not today.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Default This thead is only secondarily about HOA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
P.S. "IF" HOA attached homes *is soooo good*....

Then *WHY* all the complains????
(eg. HOA horror stories googling, this thread & other threads *here* about it, even complains at the HOA community meetings themselves.... etc.)

*WHY* choose to have or add an "outside" set of problems to complain about when the home itself is already a big compliant for the *if* "needs of maintenance" for most homeowners????

Isn't life much simpler & less stressful & less complicated & more maintenance free when you do not have to deal with the problematic "HOA" extras???

Dunno... but will never fall for that HOA sales pitch myself.
As middle-aged mom pointed out, the OP is talking about a fundamental problem with unfinished developments, and most aspects of that problem would be there whether there was an HOA or not.

HOA's are neither good nor bad per se. You seem to think they are bad in general just because some of them are bad. Life can be "simpler, less stressful, less complicated, and more maintenance free" when there is an HOA which deals with all of the following so you don't have to: selecting, paying, and supervising the gardener; selecting, paying, and supervising the pool mainenance company; paying for the trash pick-up, the water bills for the entire complex (in the case they are not individually metered); selecting, paying, and supervising all maintenance personnel and contractors who do all the outside (exterior) maintenance for you; and scheduling an annual termite inspection so any possible termite problem does not get out of control to the "very expensive" stage. There are probably things I have forgotten, but I think my point is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate