Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of seller's who would like to be in your position right now! A solid offer after only a month!

It's tough to make a realisticl assessment without all the details, but generally it sounds like you are going do ok if you accept this offer. And if your market is trending down at all, the comps could continue to get worse for you, as you mentioned.

How familiar are you with the housing market in the area where you will be moving? Do you think you will be able to purchase there and feel good about the price you pay for your new home?

All the best with your incoming offer..maybe let us know your realtor's take on the situation...and what you decide to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 03:37 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Have to agree with others, it's hard to say if you'll see a better offer. Did you want to post the MLS?

From the way it sounds, the area you are in may have been due for a correction, and due to the foreclosures, is getting the correction it needs.

You need to consider how long the houses have been vacant. Is there any damage? The fact that yours is not foreclosed may be a plus to someone

Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,270,863 times
Default Take it and run...

I would take it and go. I wouldnt wait any longer. Or else you will lose more!
JMO of course. We took a lower profit and I am so glad I am now comfortably
renting and waiting for our dream home to drop in price.(already has 50k!)

Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
The sad fact is your competition is foreclosures and bank owned homes. These companies can afford to take a loss just to unload the properties. Or at least they can better afford the loss than an individual. People care about price and value for their dollar. They are going to do the best they can with the money available. If that's your house, it will sell. If that's the bank owned property, it will sell.

That's a huge hit and I feel bad for you. But unless you can afford to put your life on hold and stay where you are till things improve(maybe years), this may be the best offer you get. And don't forget the pleasure of living in a model home! Or you may get a better offer tomorrow. How do you ever know what to do? I'm betting those repos will start going down in price too.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:22 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheiny View Post
we listed for what i feel now was too much. So we lowered to a more market value. The last house in our area that sold in our square footage was still much lower than what we may be taking. It was a foreclosure. some other homes our size are listed, not sold but are also foreclosures. One other that is a resale the couple is desperate and may settle so low it would hurt us even more in the long run.
Its just such a weird market now.
but, we still walk away with a profit. We also have only been on the market a little over a month, so we did get an offer in somewhat of a resonable time.
It sounds like your area is really being hit by a slump in the real estate market. Waiting will not improve this for a LONG time (at least a year or more). I would maybe counter offer with a higher price, but not a lot higher. You can't look back to the market high and say I should have sold then. It is over for now and prices are more realistic now and will stay that way. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-06-2007, 02:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The sad fact is your competition is foreclosures and bank owned homes. These companies can afford to take a loss just to unload the properties. Or at least they can better afford the loss than an individual. People care about price and value for their dollar. They are going to do the best they can with the money available. If that's your house, it will sell. If that's the bank owned property, it will sell.

That's a huge hit and I feel bad for you. But unless you can afford to put your life on hold and stay where you are till things improve(maybe years), this may be the best offer you get. And don't forget the pleasure of living in a model home! Or you may get a better offer tomorrow. How do you ever know what to do? I'm betting those repos will start going down in price too.
Nope...tain't true Yerllowsnow. There is a compex contractural and fiduciary relationship between a loan servicer and the mortgage holder. They are actually driven harder to get the best price than the standard private seller. And their client is vastly more able to call them on it than any normal seller.

It is one of the reasons short sales and REOs are a pain. The mortgage servicer often can't respond without getting permission from the mortgage holder and must do provable due diligence before going back to the mortgage holder. You will on occasion find a holder who has instructed the servicer to sell it...which often leads to a dutch auction. But it is rare especially in expensive homes.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:24 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
PS - There is a certain peace of mind that you will get when your house is sold and that is worth more than money can buy. Do you want to end up like the desperate couple you mentioned? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate