Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM

18,372 posts, read 31,488,046 times

Advertisements

I own a co-op, I get the STAR tax relief at the end of the year, making no payments for the maintenance for December and part of January. The maintenance is also 50 percent tax deductible.

Our owners are very lienient, we have very few rules, all the owners are happy and the renters as well.

the building is kept well, and we have few problems, if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,662,720 times
If you own it, it is considered chattel and not real property. But you can sell it and it's cheaper than renting. It is hard to get a loan so you would most likely have to find your own funding or pay cash. Also most people in NYC do not have a car, but say for car insurance purposes they may not give you a home owners discount, and the same for other places, you can call yourself a homeowner, but in reality you are not.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 471 times
WOW! Thank you guys for sharing this information because my grandfather has owned co-ops ever since the beginning. Each of his family members lived in apartments he purchased for them, but they have all passed away except him. He is 107 years old now, and of course, my mother will inherit them if she hasn't already taken ownership.

My concern is, my mother is also getting older (77), and since her oldest sister just passed away a couple of weeks ago at 80 years old, I need to learn more about co-ops in case they are left to me. I do have other siblings who are very capable of handling them too. However, none of them have ever seen them nor do they ever travel to New York. Moreover, since they are all are married with families and own their own properties in the south, I don't think they will be interested. I am divorced with only one daughter who has graduated from college, working and is living on her own.

So, I get the feeling I will be left with the responsibility of my grandfather's co-ops, especially since I was asked to go to New York back in 2006 to check on two of his apartments after we moved my grandfather down south to live with my mother. His apartment was empty with a squatter occupying it, and my great aunt was still living in the other one, who eventually passed away too. So, I am trying to learn as much as I can now in case I am asked to take on that responsibility.

Thanks again.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:03 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,486,779 times
I live in a co-op in Portland Oregon modeled after New York co-ops. Buyers purchase shares in the co-op corporation, they do not 'own' the apartment. You should see if the co-op corporation will share with you their rules on the transfer of shares. You should also ask how the shares are titled. The co-op should not permit anyone other than the shareholder or their immediate family members to occupy the unit.

Any co-op with a squatter occupying a unit should be sued, IMHO.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,662,720 times
Yes you are a homeowner, you are not a renter you can not be told to vacate the apartment or switch to a different one. The only way you can be forced to move is if the majority decide to sell for a huge profit if such an offer comes in, in which case you would get your share of that windfall.

I was looking a while back for a relative to retire in a 55+ co op mobile home community. The starting point for older homes was about $30K which included the share and the home. There were about 500 units and it was a huge development. Say an investor wanted to buy the place for $250 million to build luxury condo buildings. Each tenant would have gotten $500k for their investment. That's not likely to happen but it's your home and land until you sell it, you just own it as a share instead of a deed.

In NYC older condos are co ops. You do own the unit but you own it as a share. You are not a renter. Normally the HOAs run higher because I think part of the taxes are built into the comon/HOA fees as well as any payments that were made to purchase the building originally as well as upkeep. Condos are better and easier to sell and more valuable. But co op is better than renting.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,344,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
inheriting a co-op doesnt mean you have to sell it.

When it comes to children most co-op leases at least here in nyc say ,that the board cannot unreasonably withhold the right of offspring to occupy apartments they have inherited.

Sounds like nepotism: I need approval to buy a co-op and some punk doesn't need approval because he won the genetic lottery.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:47 AM

105,999 posts, read 107,976,655 times
there are perks that go with everything .

in fact as a partner in some investment co-op apartments with the original sponsor , i need no board approval to rent or sell the ones i own .

that is a perk sponsors have . everyone else is subject to approval .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate