Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a home in the next year and I've zeroed in on a few neighborhoods I'd like to focus my search in. I haven't been pre-approved for a mortgage yet because I'm still unsure of a few things (there is a slim chance I could be transferred to another state for work so I'm waiting to make sure that doesn't happen). I'd like to look a few houses in the area to get a better sense of what I can get for my money but there doesn't seem to be any open houses. I feel bad scheduling a viewing of a house when I know I won't be buying. Is it just a bad time of year for open houses? Should I just schedule viewings? Will agents even meet with me before I have an agent of my own?

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I think you should wait until you are sure and then interview agents to hire.

There is no free lunch and if open houses aren't common where you live, so be it.

Please be considerate of other people's time. We are not a public utility.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:50 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,118 times
It could be seasonal, or it could be...
- lack of listing(s) in your area
- strategic decision by Realtor(R) not to do open house. They are not effective, especially in this type of market.

Open houses could pick up in March-April 2012 with potential buyers anticipating tax returns and with the school year coming to a close (easier family transition) thus agents trying to capitalize off of the rush to a buying season (whatever that may mean nowadays).

You could schedule viewings, but some agents are going to query whether you are pre-qualified or not. Some may not, or they may not ask for proof; thus, you could always lie and say you have been pre-qualified.

Agents will meet with you whether or not you have representation. But, you may have to go to their office, first, and sign an agreement which spells out the terms of the relationship and disclosing what their fiduciary duty is and to whom their loyalty lies (the seller). They may, also, try to sell you representation.

What you can also do is tour new construction models; they have an open door, most times, and there is no obligation for representation. Then, you can research things like Realtor.com and your local property tax assessment site as to what has sold recently and what neighborhood(s) and look at the specifics such as number of bedrooms, bathrooms, sqauare feet (building and lot), type of material (brick, siding, etc.), number of garages, and the like to give yourself an idea of price ranges. In fact, the property assessment data gives you more accurate numbers as realtor.com and a home on the market just gives you a "desired" price that they want to sell at whereas the property tax assessment site will tell you when the home sold and what the home sold for.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I think you should wait until you are sure and then interview agents to hire.

There is no free lunch and if open houses aren't common where you live, so be it.

Please be considerate of other people's time. We are not a public utility.
I understand what you are saying, and I agree that it isn't fair to waste someone's time.

But, as someone who is trying to sell, I would never turn down a showing request. I don't care if the person isn't 100% ready to buy; there is no chance at all that they'll buy my house if they never see it.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I understand what you are saying, and I agree that it isn't fair to waste someone's time.

But, as someone who is trying to sell, I would never turn down a showing request. I don't care if the person isn't 100% ready to buy; there is no chance at all that they'll buy my house if they never see it.
This is a regional thing. Many sellers in my area want qualified buyers. It is really hard to get the house clean and leave with kids and pets for people that aren't ready to buy. Many buyer agents will only show them vacant listings to start learning the market if they are out a ways.

Open houses aren't common place in my area. Some agencies still do them, but most don't.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Some years back we were considering a move to the Charleston SC area. we had spent enough time there and were pretty much focusing on in a specific suburb. We planned a trip so I phoned a few random (but major name) real estate companies with offices in the specific suburb. I asked to speak to a sales agent.

Well one came on the phone at one agency. I told him we were going to be the town for a few days about two months hence and we would like to look at a few homes. I was specific in that I said we were well over a year or more from buying and were simply trying to get a feel for things as in an apples to apples comparision of what we wanted would cost.

Now granted this was pre-Internet but his response was that he would be more then happy to show us around. He suggested as we got closer to the time we would be visiting let us chat gain and see what time we can put together that fits us both.

Over the next few months we zeroed in on a specific day. We signed nothing. I asked about that. He simply asked that as we got closer that we kept him in mind for our business. He was more then gracious showing us around the town. This was the response of a professional wanting to help us and willing to work for his money, Internet or not.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Over the next few months we zeroed in on a specific day. We signed nothing. I asked about that. He simply asked that as we got closer that we kept him in mind for our business. He was more then gracious showing us around the town. This was the response of a professional wanting to help us and willing to work for his money, Internet or not.
Geez when my great grand father was looking, all he did was ride into town and asked if anyone was sellingt heir land and some guy who was also the bar-keep took him to a ranch for sale. Now thats professional becasue they were not even a real estate agent! In todays world, what happened 10 plus years ago is ancient history and meaningless in todays changing world. It just befuuddles me when people have to bring up their experience from 1902 as some model of what we should expect today. Might as well dredge upt hat the houses were only $23,000 and not $323,000 as some sign of beeter real estate agents proivcing it correctly, or mentiont hat they handed out a box of candles cause electricty wasn;t available and thats professionalism. Or the feamle agents wouldn;t coml;lain or slp your face when you smacked them on the behind, now thats professionalism.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:06 PM

25 posts, read 227,913 times
I don't think it is a regional thing, here in Central Florida I noticed the same thing. I just thought it was due to the lack of buyers and to many houses on the market. Also with the internet so many houses can be eliminated by just looking at the pictures online. I heard someone say that you should look at least 1000 homes online and 100 in person. Me we looked at maybe 5 inside drove by at least 100, before we made an offer on one.
Look around online, drive through the areas you are considering, and interview at least 3 agents in the local area, that my advise.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
I'm obviously trying not to waste anyone's time, but I'm also trying to figure out what I need to know in the process.

Hopefully there will be more Open Houses in March and April. I'm in the North East so new construction isn't common, particularly where I am looking. Because the homes vary significantly in age and renovations/updates it's difficult to get a sense of exactly what you are getting or your money in a listing.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
If you are looking to buy in the next year that should be good enough reason for a realtor to show you something. If you only want to "waste" (even though you're not really wasting it) one person's time then just call the seller's agent. If they know you don't have your own agent they'll probably just send a buyer's agent from their firm that is looking for clients, but you shouldn't have to sign anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate