Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 AM

173 posts, read 500,521 times

Advertisements

I'm posting here because real estate agents see the most houses, but posted a similar thread in decorating. I'm not much of a decorator.

I'm finishing a basement in a small cabin/house in the N GA "mountains" to use as a guest suite and office. It'll get light use. I also need to tile the tub surround upstairs and the floor tile there could sure stand to be replaced as well. I want to sell if the market ever improves, which in this overbuilt and hard hit area, could be years. I hate the thought that I'll have to "update" expensive tile again if I sell in 5-10 years.

Are there any tiles that are classic for the tub/shower surround and bath floors? I'm thinking of white for the shower stall, but is it already outdated? Otherwise, I'll go with the neutrals tans/beiges that are so prevalent now, but are sure to be "out" by the time I sell.

Any advice? It's a casual style. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,738,189 times
you could always use subway white tile and a white and black basket weave floor in tile. If you also install a really nice pedestal sink you'll have a very classic look that works for both vintage and transitional styles. if you could get a shower that doesn't need a door -- a larger walk in where you turn a corner or a tub/shower combo with an upper outward curved rod -- then you won't need to be concerned with replacing shower doors. Right now frameless shower doors are popular and probably will be for a long time, tho. Also OBR fixtures are great and popular ...... but I still used nickel or even chrome fixtures for my properties when I replace brass. I think brushed nickle is a pretty timeless look.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM

18,512 posts, read 31,759,646 times
your really worried about 10 years from now?????

Old 02-24-2012, 10:34 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,362,150 times
I would NEVER use tile in a bathroom again. Tile grout comes loose or absorbs moisture eventually and voila! mold/dry rot in the wall. Solid surface walls and one piece pans are the only way to go for my tastes.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 AM

15,609 posts, read 40,570,084 times
A couple of things...whatever decor you choose should match the architectural style of the home. It's weird to walk into a Cape Cod home that has a modern style kitchen. It just doesn't look right.

Since you are in a cabin it seems that an earthy style might be appropriate for the long term. Also what I call "Pottery Barn" style is very classic and simple looking and tends to stay in style. Not everything goes in and out of style. The charm of old homes is appealing to many people. So if you want a classic look, you want something that has charm.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM

173 posts, read 500,521 times
I'm certainly hoping to sell in less than 10 years, but this place has been a money pit and I don't want to keep redoing things.

Squirl, thanks for the helpful comments.

DMenscha, I get your comment about tile. I actually started with the plan to do a tub surround because I really dislike cleaning grout. However, my upstairs surround cracked while I was looking for one and now also needs replacing, so I decided to go with tile since that seems more durable.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 AM

34 posts, read 67,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I would NEVER use tile in a bathroom again. Tile grout comes loose or absorbs moisture eventually and voila! mold/dry rot in the wall. Solid surface walls and one piece pans are the only way to go for my tastes.
We just redid our shower at the first of the year. The tiles were falling off the wall in the shower. The tiles, tub, and shower were all from when our house was first built in the mid 90s. We talked to a contractor to do the work (since ripping out a tub and replacing a shower with all of the associated pluming was over our heads and level of expertise). He made a deal with us that if we find and have all of the materials that he would install them. We did some pain staking research and came across some very good quality, low maintenance, durable material called Onyx. So we got rid of the tub and tile and installed a shower stall with this material. Its been great and we couldn't be happier with how well its turned out. We are very confident it will stay in great shape for years with very little effort. We haven't installed shower doors and its been fine with a shower curtain. Of course with shower doors we wouldn't need to worry about being careful about water getting on the floor, but its not been a big problem. The biggest thing is opening up the curtain carefully when done in the shower so the curtain doesn't hang of the floor when wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate