Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 05:46 AM

356 posts, read 834,372 times

Advertisements

So, basically I think I want to buy some land, hopefully as an investment, timber + renting fields out. But my dad said he didn't think I could get a loan just for land. I have not talked to a realtor yet.

One property I'm looking at does have a 140+ year old house on it + a few outbuildings, but my hunch is it's unliveable and may possibly need torndown. Just 25 acres, but it's cheap. I'm seeing this one on Saturday.

The other property I was looking at has 3x more land at 77acres, but no buildings and is priced about 1.5x the first. However, the seller had the timber valued at over half the purchase price, and with this one I would get all mineral rights including gas/oil, transferred with the property.

Okay, so after veering around a bit, I guess what I'm wondering is could I get a loan on either of these properties since the first has a "house" and the second would be an investment property and not just a plot of land. I could put down 15% on the first, 10% on the second. The second I would probably have partially-logged soon after buying and re-invest the money in the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
The one with the old house will be easier to finance.

Only land loans I've seen were 50% down payment. Banks have little interest in raw land.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:19 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
Time to call a mortgage broker (not a realtor). Discuss the situation and get a real answer. Banks do make loans on land, and they do require a higher % down.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Time to call a mortgage broker (not a realtor). Discuss the situation and get a real answer. Banks do make loans on land, and they do require a higher % down.
A bigger down payment AND usually a much higher interest rate.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
There are loan companies that specialize in agricultural land.

AgLoans.com - Farm Credit - Agriculture Lending in Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, New Mexico and California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate