Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:06 PM

97 posts, read 432,065 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are house hunting and would like to be done in the next 6 months or sooner. I would say that makes up pretty darn motivated. We went out and got our loan approval and we have over $30,000 to put down.

I contacted an agent about guiding us through this process as we are house virgins. The first week we contacted him he sent us an email list of mobile homes and double wides. Neither of which we are interested in. Since then We have sent him a couple of lists of homes we wanted to see but he will wait until the end of the week before getting back to us. He has not sent us any information on houses that he thinks we should look at since the first list. A couple of houses hubby and I have found that we loved turned out to already be sold

I am thinking I may need another realtor.

I am getting really frustrated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,646,686 times
go on Facebook and ask your friends for Realtor recommendations

Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
or go to Google and look up some online reviews.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,674,022 times
Do as much research as possible, via all the available homesites (redfin, zillow, mls, etc.), track home values of the home you are interested in & do comparison with the value in that area.

Make sure you hire an agent who likes doing that homework too & will find out who & what the situation of the homeowner is. Insight is very important I've found & the more paid off the home is the better the bargaining (say it was paid off in the 70s at $100K & home is worth $300K now... owner may have a lower price point they are willing to accept VS a home seller underwater & should they sell low, they will take a big loss).

And never ever accept to buy any home at the appraised at value (again that depends on the location)... always try to guesstimate the bottom & buy yourself "underwater value" time should the value continues to drop (eg. say the appraised is at $150K, you can still see the market skimping bottom bouncing at around $15K less, offer at least $15K less).

I have a rule of thumb... I would never do any bidding wars where the ball is not in my court. I would walk away time and again from that scenario no matter how much I like the house/property. But that is just me.

Notice even in the buyer's market (and the internet still buzzed about where the buyers are) as often featured on HGTV's show like house hunters / property virgins etc... most all homes the people offered have a "bidding war" going on??? Makes one think if that is not a common tactic.... and who is to know if there aren't other offers???

Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,109,892 times
are looking to purchase a mobile home? If not that is weird. Find a new agent.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,063,218 times
Seems fairly simple. Get a new agent.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM

97 posts, read 432,065 times
I think we will have to be very picky when it comes to the next agent. This current one is just not on the same page as us.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,337,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post
I think we will have to be very picky when it comes to the next agent. This current one is just not on the same page as us.
And that's totally your right.

What I consider the right agent is one who is 5 years more advanced than you are in life. For example, my wife and I got an agent who has a rugrat, married, and lives in a house. She is exactly where we want to be in 5 years. So she knew our mindset because she'd been there before and knows what we're thinking.

Last year I had a little hottie try to sell us some hip and trendy condos in the middle of the city that were within our price range but TOTALLY not in our mindset. We wanted to live in a nice house without sharing walls with other people. I guess it didn't compute in her brain that was still obviously stuck in PARTY TIME BACHELOR PAD SEXY TIME! Yeah. We didn't stick with her.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,258,547 times
I'd agree you need a new realtor. For some reason, they are not taking you seriously. I see you are located in Mt. Pleasant -- is that where you are looking? That's a nice area, I graduated from CMU 17 years ago.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post
Hubby and I are house hunting and would like to be done in the next 6 months or sooner. I would say that makes up pretty darn motivated. We went out and got our loan approval and we have over $30,000 to put down.

I contacted an agent about guiding us through this process as we are house virgins. The first week we contacted him he sent us an email list of mobile homes and double wides. Neither of which we are interested in. Since then We have sent him a couple of lists of homes we wanted to see but he will wait until the end of the week before getting back to us. He has not sent us any information on houses that he thinks we should look at since the first list. A couple of houses hubby and I have found that we loved turned out to already be sold

I am thinking I may need another realtor.

I am getting really frustrated!

Find a realtor who is willing to work for you at your convenience and find you homes that are suited to what you have told them you want to see. Quit wasting your time on the current realtor it is NOT HIS CHOICE when it comes to looking at homes YOU WANT TO SEE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate