Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 AM

22 posts, read 52,758 times

Advertisements

We just purchased a new home 5 minutes away from our current home. I'm looking for advice on renting it for 1-2 years, then selling, or just selling it now. Then rental would cover the mortgage & taxes and we would probably have a small profit ($100-200) in addition, after paying mortgage & taxes. Renter would also be paying down $650 of my mortgage principal each month.

Selling seems like the most convienient, stress-free option but I think if we keep the home for a couple years there is a good chance we could sell for more money compared to selling now?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM

106 posts, read 363,830 times
That is a question you have to figure out for yourself.
Future increased value and possible headache (rented) or sell now, stress free.

If you feel the house has no issues I would rent it, get the monthly positive cash flow, then sell it in a couple of years when hopefully, home values increase. Again thats HOPEFULLY.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
If you are that close, is handy...
Figure into the clause of a periodical inspection done by you for "maintenance" of the property...

You are probably better off renting it.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Get a PMC - do not rent it yourself.

Oh, and this profit you envision, did you include insurance, maintenance, months with no tenant, and figure out your federal income taxes based on extra income? Bye bye profit.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 PM

156 posts, read 369,810 times
lets put it this way renting can be a headache you don't want .bad tenants ,even end up like with a drug bust or possibly a grow house for drugs .An injured tenant who wants to sue your homeowners policy .A tenant you have to go to court to get out .=Then an angry tenant that destroys your house on purpose .You never know what will come up .There are more horror stories out there .

Old 03-12-2012, 02:59 PM

154 posts, read 691,427 times
Oh, and this profit you envision, did you include insurance, maintenance, months with no tenant, and figure out your federal income taxes based on extra income? Bye bye profit.

Yes, you have to figure up all the costs (including property taxes and utilities not paid by the tenant), but you are allowed deductions for these on your fed taxes as well as depreciation on the property. My rental has actually resulted in a small decrease in my income tax, because of the low rent and the depreciation.

lets put it this way renting can be a headache you don't want .bad tenants ,even end up like with a drug bust or possibly a grow house for drugs .An injured tenant who wants to sue your homeowners policy .A tenant you have to go to court to get out .=Then an angry tenant that destroys your house on purpose .You never know what will come up .There are more horror stories out there .

Well, yes, and if you get out of bed in the morning you might fall down and break your neck. Something awful can happen no matter what choice you make.

You reduce your risk by carefully screening your tenants -- I was in a similar situation to the OP two years ago and the best thing I did was to mention to my neighbors that I was unable to sell the house and was going to rent it. My neighbor's cousin had recently been divorced and was looking for a new place to live. It was the best possible reference: my neighbors certainly would not have recommended him if they had to live next door to a deadbeat wild partier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate