Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM

609 posts, read 2,243,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Markets are very local. Most markets are not flat.
Either the OP can believe a RE pro or the news that come out everyday on the economy.

Once the interest rates start to rise and believe me they will, what do you think will happen to house prices.....thats right prices will go DOWN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
^^^ITA!!!
Especially when comparing 0.25 acre vs 0.25 acre (or that 3 acre vs 3 acres doesn't matter, so long it uses same community service, built via same builder/developer) in the same hood...
Comparing all 3 bed 2 bath on the same acre in the same hood using the same community pool....
Comparing this town home vs that other town home build in the same hood...
Or comparing this McMansion vs the other McMansion by same builder / developer....

where outside of the home as "HOA" mandate (the clothes) does not change (so the value equalizer)... maybe the insides may have upgraded options (when "value" or that "firesale" will mandate the buyer's choice)...

What can balances the upkeep home value... will also "equalize" the fall as well.

P.S. update... since I do work around many HOA communities... I just gave advise to another friend on how to "rent out" a townhome unit he just bought for on the cheap cash....
great rental investment, but NOT as a homeowner to live in....
(back to the question.... does rental neighbourhood devalue homes in the surrounding area????)

Citydata provides great tool to research what percentage are actually "homeowners" in the community when buying.... I sure used that feature for data.
There are even other sites that gives data of what percentage took out second mortgages, applied for loans within a community v/ local etc... internet datas & google are great like that to help future home buyers.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
Once the interest rates start to rise and believe me they will, what do you think will happen to house prices.....thats right prices will go DOWN
The last time interest rates were forced this low for such a prolonged period was 1935-40. Interest rates went up for 40 subsequent years, after that. So did home values.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Quote:
The last time interest rates were forced this low for such a prolonged period was 1935-40.
Do you really think rates were "forced" down in 1935?
Wasn't demand for borrowed money just so low that the rates just went there?

It's not like the Fed was buying Treasury bonds, was it?
I guess they were restricting the money supply, but that's different than "forcing."
Quote:
Interest rates went up for 40 subsequent years, after that. So did home values.
Home prices tend to move with inflation.

Once the increase in the money supply starts to get out into the general
economy, prices of everything will rise - including housing - no matter what the
interest rates are. Check out 1975-1980 for mortgage rates and home prices.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
^^^Agreed.
The home value may have a "peak hike" rapid increase from 40s - before 50s... but after that is a pretty steady "slow climb"... thus I do not see much increase / difference in home prices from 50s till the next "peak hike" during the 2004/5 till 2007/early 2008 housing boom.

Inflation in US $ is also part of what makes home prices... same w/ building materials (where even today, w/ a weakening of USD, material prices stayed almost the same and did not become even more which should be w/ inflation adjustment via a weak dollar).
Further more... the income people make in peak housing does not "justify" the increase in home prices (eg. 200% gain during peak from when that house is bought & build during the 80s w/ even that 16% interest)... does a normal household income balance / justify the home price jump of that 200% too??? (Income of a 200% jump maybe achieved when one becomes CEO, CFO or other heads of the company etc. or some successful bankers... but how many of these "real jobs" are that???)
Thus why many people when they take out loans against their homes (for that kitchen /bath updo / deck / sunporch addition / college loans etc.) are also "in trouble" due to the banks allowing people to take out more than they can pay back.

Primary Mortgage Market Survey Archives - 30 Year Fixed Rate Mortgages - Freddie Mac

The New York Times > Week in Review > Image > Graphic: A History of Home Values

Thus when I bought, I bought with the prospect of housing not recovering till after 2015-16 & or worse... 2020 like shiller predicts. Thus should the housing bottom later... I'd still be safe, but should it bottom now before 2015... I am way ahead of the game.

P.S. My BIL advises that like stock... it is best to buy when prices are almost bottom, "on the way down" than when "on the up swing" up mode.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post

Home prices tend to move with inflation.

Once the increase in the money supply starts to get out into the general
economy, prices of everything will rise - including housing - no matter what the interest rates are. Check out 1975-1980 for mortgage rates and home prices.
I thought of you, yesterday when I was keying that response. We tend to agree on the fundamentals albeit not the extremes.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
We tend to agree on the fundamentals albeit not the extremes.
Meaning that you don't think the house I bought for $515k, now worth $350k (+/-) will be worth (*) North of $1 million in 5-10 years?

(*) "Worth?" I should have said "priced." It should still only take 200 ounces of gold to buy, er, .... exchange for it.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
That's why it is called an investment, you takes your chances and if you lose, it's in you. I had one house I held for ten years because someone had built cheap town houses across the street, another I sold within two years for double what I paid. Nobody should be bailing you out for a decision you made

Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I had one house I held for ten years because someone had built cheap town houses across the street, ...
What does building cheap town houses across the street have to do with one's holding period?

Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 PM

17,301 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Be careful to pay up on all HOA dues...
As per another friend who owned a HOA property who also lost value close to 100K, that HOA fee is something that even bankruptcy and foreclosure cannot discharge, very much like that college loan.

Plus...

Your place will be much harder to sell (not to mention, much more expensive to sell eg. separate attorney fee to handle HOA etc.) if HOA due is not up to date.

Good luck to you all the same.

You are 100% wrong on the HOA fees not being able to be discharged. You would only have to pay them if you kept the house in bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate