Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM

6 posts, read 14,072 times

Advertisements

We went to an open house today and really liked the house. However, it's on a street that backs to the Fairfax County Water Authority treatment plant in Herndon, which treats drinking water from the Potomac River. It is a massive facility as you can see from this image: 11903 Crayton Ct, Herndon, VA 20170 - Google Maps, but the back of the house is beautifully landscaped and there is no indication that the plant is behind it. The agent and neighbors said the plant's operations are extremely quiet and cannot be heard from the house. How much would the location impact the value of this $900k+ house, and could there be potential health effects from being so close to a facility like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Your agent can best answer that for you. My opinion on location is that the impact on the propery is probably already factored into the price (would it be $1M+ if somewhere else?). You;ll have to do your research on health affects and or sound/smell from the plant. Remember the agent at the open house represents the seller. Get a buyers agent to give you some advice on that point.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I would hang out around the house on different days and times to see how quiet operations really are. I would think the state water quality department would be the people to ask about your health concerns.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:56 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Honestly I wouldnt even consider it. But that is my opinion and what matters is what you think. Will you be able to live with that in your backyard? I rented a condo in Centreville that was on top of I-66 and I said oh this will be fine but man was it noisy. I was glad I was not commited to it because the noise level was unbearable. I think for $900k you can find something that is not near a large facility like that. And resale value would be a huge factor for me as well especially with all of the houses that are on the market around here.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Actually, the big thing to remember is that you will have no backyard neighbors! That's almost as good as having a cemetery behind you.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Actually, the big thing to remember is that you will have no backyard neighbors! That's almost as good as having a cemetery behind you.
I'm not sure I would qualify having a cemetery behind your house as a good thing. There are many cultures in the world where cemeteries are a serious negative and those people won't even look at a house close to one. Any time you eliminate a good chunk of possible buyers, you lower the demand for your property and therefore its value. For resale purposes, I discourage my clients from buying homes next to commercial property, cemetaries, water towers, high tension wires, industrial facilities, etc. whenever possible.

I'm not sure what real estate values are like in VA, but I imagine $900K buys you a lot of house and is considered pretty high end. If you're buying in the upper end of your market, I would definitely avoid a house with question marks like this. With your budget, I can't imagine you have to make this kind of compromise.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:51 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
Water treatment plants usually have an odor. I would go at different times of the day. Normally treatment plans smell more in spring and summer.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It is possible that you can go to the door of the water treatment plant, knock on the door, and get a lot of questions answered about the plant.

My experience has always been that if I am pleasant and smiley, the workers there are bored and really pleased to have an excuse to stop work for a few minutes to talk about themselves and what they do. I have never yet had an unwelcoming response.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
For $900,000, surely you can find another home that is not adversely impacted by being next to a massive industrial use like that.

Just as you have enough hesitance about it to post on a message board, so will other people when you go
to sell it. IMO, I'd keep looking.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:03 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Well, there's drinking water treatment and waste water treatment and I'd rather live close to the former rather than the latter.

Seriously, if you're worried about odors, check it out on a day when there's a strong wind from the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate