Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 AM

96 posts, read 171,857 times

Advertisements

I hope Zillow gets rid of the Zestimates. Although most realtors do not recognize Zestimates as accurate, the problem is, a lot of buyers searching the internet do. Then, their agent has to argue with them over a fair price for a property and what it is actually worth (and how inaccurate the Zestimate is).

I don't understand why Zillow won't just give people the option to remove the Zestimate if they don't want it showing up on there?

It is entirely inaccurate in my opinion. And useless.

Maybe once they are finally sued, they will just remove it altogether. Or at least allow someone the option to remove it.

I can't give Zillow too much of a hard time though, they do allow people to see houses online in general areas they are looking. I have found their site the most useful to find homes listed. Especially the FSBO. Sold my home FSBO and bought FSBO all because of Zillow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey7083 View Post
I hope Zillow gets rid of the Zestimates. Although most realtors do not recognize Zestimates as accurate, the problem is, a lot of buyers searching the internet do. Then, their agent has to argue with them over a fair price for a property and what it is actually worth (and how inaccurate the Zestimate is).

I don't understand why Zillow won't just give people the option to remove the Zestimate if they don't want it showing up on there?

It is entirely inaccurate in my opinion. And useless.

Maybe once they are finally sued, they will just remove it altogether. Or at least allow someone the option to remove it.

I can't give Zillow too much of a hard time though, they do allow people to see houses online in general areas they are looking. I have found their site the most useful to find homes listed. Especially the FSBO. Sold my home FSBO and bought FSBO all because of Zillow.
So what you are saying is a person would be smart enough to turn them off, but if they show up on the screen they are too stupid to ignore them.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
On one of our real estate hunting nights, my Wife emailed Zillows facebook page and asked why the estimates in our area are so contrary to all other data/comps etc, and they did respond with a very detailed reason why. Dont remember what it was, but just saying, there is some process involved, even though it is absolutely worthless for our area

Old 10-06-2012, 09:34 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
I just point people to the page on Zillow that shows the Zestimate's accuracy level. It's pretty sad how innaccurate the Zestimate is in many areas of the country even when they often quote value ranges with a spread of $100K or more.

Quote:
Most people have no idea how bad it is so how are they going to know to remove it?

The problem is that when all the internet guys decided to get into the real estate game they thought they could fit a square peg in a round hole but you just can't do it. An algorith that could accurately value a property anywhere in the country would be so unbelievably complex it would take a lifetime to create. Even then it would still have a level of innaccuracy because the algorithm hasn't been in your house to see its condition. Additionally, in many states sales data is not public information. Even in states where Zillow has access to sales data they don't have access to the sales concessions listed on MLS.

I'm a big believer that you should only do something if you can do it right. Zillow clearly believes it's OK to do things even less than half a$$.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
Zillow is a useful tool but clearly not an end all be all.
How on earth is zillow useful if it is literally off by hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:44 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Remember that although Zillow's Zestimates are unreliable, it does offer more exposure of homes to the public. The best advice for consumers is to look for homes through their available resources but to contact a Realtor for specific information. Zillow is hardly what I would refer to as useless. As a consumer, the advice is to not rely on Zillow too heavily when trying to create a listing or offer price on a home for sale.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How on earth is zillow useful if it is literally off by hundreds of thousands of dollars?
They have more data than just zestimates. I found if very useful for looking up things like past property taxes that weren't readily available on other sites.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They have more data than just zestimates. I found if very useful for looking up things like past property taxes that weren't readily available on other sites.
Most of that information is available elsewhere, at least in my area. Zillow considers their Zestimates to be accurate in my area because it is within 20% of the sales price 77% of the time. That is hardly useful information. If you own a house that will eventually sell for $400K the Zestimate will show that your house is valued between $320-$480K. How can that be helpful?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Remember that although Zillow's Zestimates are unreliable, it does offer more exposure of homes to the public. The best advice for consumers is to look for homes through their available resources but to contact a Realtor for specific information. Zillow is hardly what I would refer to as useless. As a consumer, the advice is to not rely on Zillow too heavily when trying to create a listing or offer price on a home for sale.
The only other problem with Zillow aside from the Zestimate is their "advice" section. The people that post there are often not the most knowledgeable people and they tend to pile on when someone disagrees.

A lot of real estate agents don't like Zillow because they sell buyer leads to agents using listing information we provide. I don't really have an issue with that. Putting up something like the Zestimate which the uninitiated don't know is wildly innaccurate is a huge disservice to the public though.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Most of that information is available elsewhere, at least in my area. Zillow considers their Zestimates to be accurate in my area because it is within 20% of the sales price 77% of the time. That is hardly useful information. If you own a house that will eventually sell for $400K the Zestimate will show that your house is valued between $320-$480K. How can that be helpful?
It isn't helpful. Which is probably why most people ignore it. But I like some of the other information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate