Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 AM

224 posts, read 546,271 times

Advertisements

What in your experience is the cost of the lease option?

We are looking at a 215k home, but the owners stated they were told to ask for 20k as the lease option by a friend. Everything we have read, including an attorney friend says that 2-5% is what usually goes for the option price.

I want to know what a fair cost would be.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
What in your experience is the cost of the lease option?

We are looking at a 215k home, but the owners stated they were told to ask for 20k as the lease option by a friend. Everything we have read, including an attorney friend says that 2-5% is what usually goes for the option price.

I want to know what a fair cost would be.

Thanks!
There is no such thing as "fair."
Negotiate for something that is "acceptable" to both sides.

I can see where the seller is coming from. The vast majority of lease option deals do not close, and the seller wants assurance that you are deeply vested in the transaction.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM

I would think that 10k would be pretty invested. They are underwater on their mortgage from what I understand so my first thought was they wanted so much to get a bailout from that. However, doesn't the 'option fee' go into escrow?

Also, what kind of protection do we have as the buyers if they stop paying their mortgage? Are we just screwed?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgandjsmom View Post
I would think that 10k would be pretty invested. They are underwater on their mortgage from what I understand so my first thought was they wanted so much to get a bailout from that. However, doesn't the 'option fee' go into escrow?

Also, what kind of protection do we have as the buyers if they stop paying their mortgage? Are we just screwed?
You have a real estate attorney to write the contract, don't you?

The contract should detail each of the parties' representations, expectations, and protections.

Don't give up a nickel, let alone thousand$ until your attorney tells you what you are in for.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Our attorney is out for spring break, and I am trying to understand the situation without waiting a week since we are moving in 20 days.

I always play cautious, but I really wanted outside perspective, too.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
If they are behind on their mortgage, and run the risk of losing their home to a bank, I would not give them any amount as part of a lease/option deal. I might reconsider if all amounts were completely held in escrow or there was some other arrangement where I wouldn't stand a chance of losing money. But if you are trusting that they will make good on their mortgage and not lose the house altogether, you might have better odds in Las Vegas.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,271,109 times
Excellent advice ^^^^^. DO NOT GIVE THE SELLERS A DIME. Have that money held in escrow by an attorney, and you need stipulations that cover default, foreclosure, ect in regards to what happens to that lease option payment.

If you give them the money, and they then default and foreclose, you could sue them, but do you honestly think they are going to have an extra $10k laying around to pay you back?

Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM

That's exactly what I thought.
I would never do it if it wasn't held in escrow during that time.

However my original question still stands. Assuming all is on the up and up, I get legally covered via contract and escrow. What is a 'fair' or 'usual' amount to pay for the lease option?

Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
On that price of a home, out here, $5,000 in option money would be fairly common.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
I would also suggest recording your lease option so that your right to purchase is protected just in case the seller/lessor happens to default on their mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate