Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,547 times

Advertisements

I know that buyer's agent's commissions have been discussed a lot on here, but I wanted to get some expert opinions on my specific case. I will be a first time homebuyer and have identified a house that I want to purchase. For various reasons, it is perfect for what my family and I are looking for. I do not currently have a buyer's agent. Since I have already found the house that I want to buy, is it really necessary to contract with a buyer's agent? To me, it does not make sense for an agent on my end to get 3% of the purchase price if there is no legwork involved prior to submitting an offer. Of course, there is value generated from having someone walk us through the buying process, which obviously will be new to us. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
It is totally up to you. If you think you are capable of managing the process yourself, that is your choice. Personally, I think you need to interview at least three buyer agents and see if you can find someone competent advise you. I think it is ill-advised for a first timer to go sans representation, just hire good representation. Not all agents are created equal.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave721 View Post
I know that buyer's agent's commissions have been discussed a lot on here, but I wanted to get some expert opinions on my specific case. I will be a first time homebuyer and have identified a house that I want to purchase. For various reasons, it is perfect for what my family and I are looking for. I do not currently have a buyer's agent. Since I have already found the house that I want to buy, is it really necessary to contract with a buyer's agent? To me, it does not make sense for an agent on my end to get 3% of the purchase price if there is no legwork involved prior to submitting an offer. Of course, there is value generated from having someone walk us through the buying process, which obviously will be new to us. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks!
Have you seen the inside of this house? Read the Seller's Property Disclosure?

Old 04-11-2012, 10:23 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
First time buyer you say? Get someone on your side.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Have you seen the inside of this house? Read the Seller's Property Disclosure?
Got the comps? Understand what they mean? Know how to get a home inspection? Know how to get an appraisal that will satisfy the lender? Know how to negotiate the price, the closing costs, the results of any issues that arise from the inspection?

This is the biggest investment of your life. Would you do self-surgery, or self-dental work? Heck, you or your wife probably pay somebody for haircuts and manicures! Get an agent, please. (and no, I am NOT an agent.)

Old 04-12-2012, 05:02 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,735 times
...and as a buyer you're not paying for their services, anyway- the seller is. So go get yourself a top-knotch buyers agent. Nothing to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate