Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Because he SERIOUSLY KNOWS the market there!
Hey... seriously now... this person knows the market. This is not a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
basically your whole thread is predicated upon the belief that, "seriously, you know the market there."
It is not a "belief" as I have been watching the market, what houses have been selling for, how much it would take to replace this house not to mention replacing all the inventory they wanted. Plus, the time element of playing with counters since their closing date was not negotiable. The buyer was not going to live in the house but his adult kids were supposedly. It is cheaper to buy here than rent, much cheaper. We live in a town of 8,000 people so knowing the market is not rocket science. We have no regrets about not countering. Plenty of houses in his price range so now, maybe the realtor can show him something in that price range.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:06 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It is not a "belief" as I have been watching the market, what houses have been selling for,
Then you should have no trouble getting it sold, right?

Quote:
how much it would take to replace this house not to mention replacing all the inventory they wanted.
Plus, the time element of playing with counters since their closing date was not negotiable.
The buyer was not going to live in the house but his adult kids were supposedly.
It is cheaper to buy here than rent, much cheaper. We live in a town of 8,000 people so knowing the market is not rocket science.
We have no regrets about not countering.
Plenty of houses in his price range so now, maybe the realtor can show him something in that price range.
none of this has bearing on your home's value.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:50 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
The cost to replace a house with like house in the same city does certainly have to do with a home's value. Seriously, if deals like they want are out there in their price range, why were they at our doorway. When we house shop, we look only at the price range that we can afford. I blame the realtors for dragging these people through houses they cannot afford to buy or worse yet those that could not get a loan for a dollhouse what yet a home. What they offered was what a desperate person would sell a house for and we are not desperate. If the house would have been empty and we had jobs elsewhere, they would have had a deal. Guess their timing and that of the realtor was off. Why should we let someone steal our house away and not have enough money to replace like with like or not even close enough money to do so? I can't think of a darn reason!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
My real estate agent friend told me that the value of a home is whatever someone is willing to pay you for it when you are selling it. The value is not what you or anyone else thinks its worth, only what someone will pay you for it right now. If it cost you $500,000 to build that home but people will only pay $300,000 for it, the value isn't $500,000 but $300,000.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I have a feeling this house is going to be for sale for a very long time.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Im with OP - some buyers have such ridiculous offers that it is seriously irritating. Wise or not, if you do not feel the need to counter - tell them to go pound sand.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
... We had an offer that was almost 25% below our fairly (seriously we know the market here) priced home and on top of that they wanted all the newer nice appliances, ALL window coverings and we had offered SOME, the expensive 8 x 10 area rugs from each room and a closing date that was firm with no wiggle room. ...
There a lot of bottom feeders in the market now, they throw out really low offers and see if you go for it. If you really need to sell, you could counter offer for a little less then your sales price and see what they do. Personally I'd raise my price on the counter offer, since they want more included than your were originally offering.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I have been told that my initial offers were insulting when we were shopping 2-3 years ago. It was nothing for me to consider making an offer 25% below the asking. I refused to negotiate on 2 of those offers and the seller came down. We didn't buy those homes because the inspections revealed stuff we didn't even want to consider. The home we DID buy, I made an offer 30% below asking and raised to 25%.

It sounds to me as though you were personally insulted by their offer. It's business.

As for why would someone look at a property in a higher price range than they could afford, ummm, why would you price your home higher than you expect to sell it for? It's called negotiation for a reason. You start higher, then negotiate. I never looked in my price range; that was where I expected the negotiations to take me.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
OP - you may know the market, but you don't know the buyer. Failure is accomplished by trying, and so is success. Success on the other hand can ONLY be be accomplished by trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate